The small images of documents at start up

4.2.1.1 on an up to date MS XP.
Both with English as main language.

1. Is there a Tools->Options, or something similar, to avoid the small images of the recently used documents on start up?
  2. I can click on these small images of the recently used documents on start up. Thing is that for some of them, the click opens the document. While for the others, clicking does nothing. I think that the newer ones get opened. And the older does not get opened, even though it can. For example, by using File → Recent Documents.

(1.)
Please have a look at Can I supress the images on the start screen?

See also: Tagged “start-screen”.

(2.)
The thumbnails and the file names must be completely visible.
(Does it help to scroll down?)

Even though the thumbnails and the file names are completely visible, the oldest files are not opened when clicking their thumbnail. Can it be that the need to scroll down, to get to the thumbnail and file name, is what renders the thumbnails not to get opened?

You may try as follows:

Open LibreOffice (start screen).

Press Shift+Tab for selecting the first thumbnail in the list of the recent documents.

Navigate with the arrow keys to the desired thumbnail.

Press Enter.

I tried the following:

1. Open LibreOffice (start screen). I see 6 thumbnails, 3 thumbnails in a line, and 2 lines. I mean like in a 2 X 3 table. 2 rows, and 3 columns. If I’ll scroll down I will be able to see thumbnails of more documents.

2. Pressing Shift+Tab for selecting the first thumbnail in the list of the recent documents. I got the left most thumbnail in the upper line highlighted. with one stroke on the down arrow key it changed into highlighting the left most thumbnail in the 2nd line. After one more stroke on the down arrow key I can not see which thumbnail is highlighted. The screen did not scroll down. However, pressing opened a document. Presumably, the document which has its thumbnail in the leftmost column and the 3rd row.

Obviously, that is not good enough. I didn’t knew which document I am opening.

Just to point out that in the start screen, moving the mouse over the left most, upper most, thumbnail gives it a light blue highlight. While pressing Shift+Tab to choose that same thumbnail gives it a stronger blue highlight. I think this is one more evidence that those two highlighting methods are not entirely equivalent.

I think I finally got it. Scroll down to the neighborhood of the thumbnail of the document to open. Then use Shift+Tab and the arrow keys to point to the specific document. And press to open it.

I can understand your trouble with navigating through the recent documents thumbnails – currently there are 25 thumbnails (recent documents) in my start screen, and it is a pain…

But fortunately there’s menu File → Recent Documents :slight_smile:

Related bug report: Bug 72287 - [TEMPLATE MANAGER] [START CENTER] [UI] [A11Y] unable to scroll thumbnail view list with keyboard only for selecting available templates/documents in the thumbnail views

fdo#72287 · Status: ASSIGNED

fdo#72287 · Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Scroll automatically to show selected item when keyboard used

(LibreOffice 4.2.5 / 4.3.0)

Successfully tested with LibreOfficeDev 4.2.5.0.0+. :slight_smile: