TOC exceeds page bounds

Why is this happening:

In case the uploaded screen-shot is not visible: I created a Table Of Contents [TOC] and for some reason that I’ve yet to determine, the page numbers are all outside the TOC frame [on the right]. The Page Style is set as follows:
Format: User
Width: 8.00"
Height: 10.00"
Orientation: Portrait
Margins:

• Inner: 0.76"
  • Outer: 0.60"
  • Top: 0.40"
  • Bottom: 0.30"
  • Gutter: 0.14"

Page Layout: Mirrored
Gutter position: Left

The TOC paragraph style (Index/Contents 1): all defaults.

I can “fix” it by selecting every line in the TOC and then Click-Drag adjust the end tab, but when I refresh the TOC index, it all goes back to what it was: page numbers extending beyond the TOC boarder!

I tried editing the Tab value in the Index/Contents 1 style, but that had NO effect on the page number positions!

I also looked for other style types that might be involved but none of them were selected. For instance, I looked in the Table Styles (while the carat was in the TOC) and none of the style types, in the list, were selected (i.e. highlighted). Same with the List Styles. I even looked in the Character Styles and the Frame Styles.

Does anybody know how to adjust the position of the page numbers so that it survives the Index Update process?

A TOC is generated from a “structure” line which takes precedence over several settings in the Contents n paragraph style. So attach a sample file. While at it, mention OS name, LO version (all four numbers) and save format.

Thank you for your rapid response. Unfortunately, I’m not familiar with “structure lines” or “sample files”. Would you be willing to elaborate, or point me to a resource?

The “structure line” is located in the dialog popping up when you Insert>TOC & Index>TOC, Index or Bibliography in the Entries tab. This line is a kind of template describing the layout of entries for each level in the TOC. Since you chose a non-standard page size, I suspect the configuration in the structure line was not updated for the page size and the stop for the page number is likely 0.5" too far.

This is why I asked you attach a “representative” (or sample) file, i.e. a reduced version of your file, containing enough contents to generate at least one TOC entry still suffering the problem. The shorter the better because attached files have a rather stringent size limit.

Also, since Writer is permanently evolving, knowing which version your are using (like 7.6.4.2) helps providing the most adequate advice. There are differences between platforms (and releases proceed at different paces on the platforms, thus telling “latest release on Exotic OS” is meaningless), so tell exactly which OS you have. Finally, saving your document in non native format, non .odt, creates additional problems.

To attach a file, click on the “upload” icon when editing your question or commenting. This icon looks like a paper tray with an upward arrow (out box).

Prompted by your explanation, I did two things that corrected the issue:

1. I deleted the TOC, which also deleted the page, so I Insert/More Breaks/Manual Break and I selected “Index” as the Page Style.

2. I inserted a new TOC, with all defaults.

That did it!