Tools --> Options --> Advanced --> CRASH!!!

In any LibreOffice application if I select Tools → Options → Advanced the application crashes. I guess it has something to do with the Java JRE but I cannot get into the Advanced tab to disable or refresh.

Version: 6.4.6.2 Build ID:
1:6.4.6-0ubuntu0.20.04.1 CPU threads:
12; OS: Linux 5.4; UI render: default;
VCL: gtk3; Locale: en-GB
(en_IE.UTF-8); UI-Language: en-US
Calc: threaded

I guess it has something to do with the Java JRE

May be, but my first guess with Ubuntu 20.04/LibreOffice 6.4.6.2 combination always is a corrupt initial installation. This site has plenty of problem reports with this combination and looking completely unrelated to each but sharing the same resolution.

Hello,

Complete Deinstallation

• dpkg --list | awk '/ii/&&/libreoffice/{print $2}' | sudo xargs apt purge --yes
  • sudo apt autoremove --yes
  • sudo rm -r /usr/lib/libreoffice/* (Ignore error here; directory may be already empty)

New Installation (using Ubuntu base repositories)

• sudo apt update --yes
  • sudo apt install libreoffice libreoffice-gtk3 libreoffice-l10n-en-us libreoffice-sdbc-hsqldb --yes

Reset your LibreOffice user profile

• Start LibreOffice
  • Start in Safe Mode using Help -> Restart in Safe Mode and confirm the restart using button: Restart
  • Archive your profile expanding Advanced (click on the word Advanced right above Help button) and click Archive User Profile button
  • Select option Reset to factory settings
  • Activate [x] Reset entire user profile
  • Click button Apply Changes and Restart

I tried this (by the apt doesn’t work so I replace apt with apt-get and that worked. Then after the re-install I have this error and Libreoffice will not start:

~$ libreoffice --writer
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/oosplash: error while loading shared libraries: libuno_sal.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

~$ libreoffice --version
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/oosplash: error while loading shared libraries: libuno_sal.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Never faced that, could only happen in case of sudo apt autoremove --yes in step 2 of Complete Deinstallation did not work . And what error did you get on using apt - I’m using that 5 times a week to remove and reinstall different LibreOffice versions for testing purposes. Give me 5 minutes to start my test system …

File `libuno_sal.so.3` is part of package `libuno_sal3`: So use `sudo apt install libuno-sal3` to install that package (But I'd redo the whole procedure).

Just repeated the procedure exactly as shown above and get:

user@system:~$ libreoffice --version
LibreOffice 6.4.6.2 40(Build:2)

user@system:~$ uname -a
Linux system 5.4.0-42-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 10 00:24:02 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I use Windows 10 and this crash doesn’t happen.