Top Level Chapter Numbers as x.0

In Writer, I am using chapter numbering 1, 1.1, 1.1.1. I would like to have the top level be 1.0, 2.0, etc., rather than just the solitary digit. Can LO do this?

I’m not sure what was not clear. I want the top level chapter to be 1.0, 2.0, etc. I do not want to change any other level than the top level.

Version: 7.4.2.3 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 382eef1f22670f7f4118c8c2dd222ec7ad009daf
CPU threads: 16; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19044; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (en_US); UI: en-US
Calc: CL

Please improve the description of your requirement (edit your question, don’t add a comment so tht all details are at the same location).
Do you mean something like:

1.0 Chapter one (level 1)
  1.1 Sub-chapter (level 2)
  1.2 Sub-chapter (level 2)
2.0 Chapter two (level 1)
  …

or:

1. Chapter one (level 1)
  1.0. Chapter preface (level 2)
  1.1. Sub-chapter (level 2)
  1.2. Sub-chapter (level 2)
2. Chapter two (level 1)
  2.0. Chapter preface (level 2)
  …

Both are possible, it is only a matter of configuration.

I added to the question, but I don’t understand what was not clear. I didn’t ask for 1., 2., etc. I asked for 1.0, 2.0, etc.

Why are you confused about this?

You display 2 numbers, suggesting that you are at level 2, while speaking of “top-level” chapter. So, are you in the context of my first example where a useless “.0” (in the sense, doesn’t bear information) is systematically added to the chapter number? Or are you in the context of the second example where you want to start your sub-chapters at 0?

Sorry, I’m not clear. Do you still not understand the question?

I would like to have the top level be 1.0, 2.0, etc., rather than just the solitary digit.

Is that not clear? I don’t understand. How can I explain it more clearly???

Yes, I want the “useless” information to be displayed.

Just answer by designating which of my examples corresponds to your requirement. I’ll assume it is the first one. I’ll answer for this one.

1.0 Chapter one (level 1)
  1.1 Sub-chapter (level 2)
  1.2 Sub-chapter (level 2)
2.0 Chapter two (level 1)
  …

This is what I’m looking for. Top level with a number ending .0 as in 1.0, 2.0.

Since you want to add some constant string to the chapter number, go to Tools>Chapter Numbering. In the Numbering tab, click on Level 1. At bottom, add a Separator After: made of a dot and a zero.
OK

However, you may confuse your readers by showing them a level-1 heading looking the same as the next level-2 heading.

1 Like

I can manage the readers. This is what they are accustomed to and expect. That’s why I want the change.

Thank you for the answer. I’m sorry this was so much trouble.