Track changes in HTM files

Can LibreOffice track changes in htm or html files? I had no problem with it in Open Office, but now the option is simply missing for htm files.

Do you mean, that in OpenOffice you had a change tracking option in any menu for a Web document? Hard to believe, and a check using AOO 4.1 shows, that there’s none. Here is what Edit menu has for HTML there:

For comparison, here’s what they have for a normal text document:

Yes. A friend and I are collaborating on an htm file. Yesterday, I was able to track changes in it using OpenOffice 4.1.11; but today I installed LibreOffice and lost that ability.

You are definitely mistaken.

Neither Apache OpenOffice, nor LibreOffice, nor their common predecessor, OpenOffice.org, ever had such a feature for HTML documents. There is no code for that, which would require to store the changed HTML parts in invisible blocks (similar to HTML comments).

You could use non-HTML document. Otherwise, you could never use AOO (or LO) to work with HTMLs in change tracking mode (and even if you opened the HTML as a normal Writer document, using HTML Document (Writer) filter to enable the change tracking, then saving such a document would drop all tracking information, effectively accepting all changes).

No. I definitely tracked changes in the htm file using Open Office yesterday. I even mentioned to my friend that I liked the interface better than in Word - the changes were more obvious, and when I went to review the changes, it brought up a list of all changes I could scroll through. Word doesn’t do that (or it’s an option I don’t have turned on). But now that I have installed Libre Office, the ability is gone - in both Libre Office and open office.

Please open your AOO, and show a screenshot of the whole program window with what is available there. That will be highly informative. Thanks.

I figured out what happened. (It would have driven me nuts if I didn’t.) Earlier, I opened the file in MS word. Even though it saved back as .htm, and everything looks the same, internally the two files are very different.
Here are the first few lines of the one I CAN track, opened in Notepad.

And here is the top of the one I cannot track.

Ah well, it looks like it won’t let me show you the code without taking even more screen shots.

The trick is, you have to first save the file using MS Word. Annoying. One person in the collaboration has to have Word.

Just start and end code with three backtiks ` and the site should not interfere

1 Like