Trouble using unicode to find letter I need!

Hi there,
I use a lot of nasal characters in my work: Ã Ỹ etc

I use the ctrl + shift + u > then enter in the unicode for accessing letters.

I cannot get the g in either capital or lower case to work. It just comes up with a square.

Capital G (unicode: e0e1) and small g (e4f5) are what I am lacking.

Any help on how to access these in LibreOffice 4.2 much appreciated.

in the correct font these show up as a small or large latin character with a TILDE overhead.

I cannot get the g in either capital or lower case to work. It just comes up with a square. Capital G (unicode: e0e1) and small g (e4f5) are what I am lacking.

U+e0e1 and U+e4f5 are characters from the Private Use Area of Unicode, which means they can contain anything the font designer chooses. There is no Unicode encoding for either Latin Small Letter g with Tilde, or Latin Capital Letter G with Tilde. To obtain these compositions it is necessary to use the Combining Tilde (U+0303) with the usual letter e.g.,

CTRL+SHIFT+U+0303 ENTER g

CTRL+SHIFT+U+0303 ENTER G

Note however that rendering for combining marks is often less elegant than that for a precomposed character. As you mention in the comment, given the right font (i.e., one with precomposed versions of these characters in the Private Use Area) the codes indicated will work as expected.

thanks, your right this way doesnt have the elegance i was looking for. but it is a good option.

is there a way of adding a special character to libreoffice. so if i have this character copied in the font i want i can creat my own short keys to place it when i require.
Thanks for the help

“… is there a way of adding a special character to libreoffice.” No. LO does not store characters, it merely makes use of the characters provided in a given font. Given that there is no precomposed combination (code point) in Unicode for either of the indicated glyphs you are going to be restricted to workarounds, such as fonts which have the required glyph in the Private Use Area. Which script (language) are you using that requires the use of these two glyphs?

i would like to use times or freeserif.
i copied the characters off the web and pasted into libre. changed the font and freeserif displays them perfectly. so it must understand what it has. my issue is then using it on a regualr basis without having to open this doc, copy and paste into my working doc.

Which script (language) are you using that requires the use of these two glyphs?

I am writing in Guaraní the indigenous language.

It would be really good to have it in one smooth crisp character. and for the life of me dont understand why its not available in LO.

Thanks for mentioning the language. Guaraní is indeed one of the corner cases that contains characters for which there is no precomposed Unicode equivalent. You are on the right track though. To obtain these precomposed characters you will need to edit an existing font to create the required character in the Private Use Area. “… why its not available in LO.” As I mentioned, LO simply uses the fonts of others. If those fonts do not contain a required character, there is nothing LO can do.