Trust - Numbering pages according to 'Article'

I am re-typing my trust, and the page numbers are custom. For example, the page number for Article 1 is ‘I-1 , I-2, etc.’ Aritcle two would be numbered ‘II-1, II-2, etc.’
I have been searching Google for at least a week and can’t figure out how to do it. Currently I’m stuck with all my page numbers being the same page.
I’ve used ‘page breaks’ for each article, and read one suggestion that said I should use ‘manual breaks.’ Perhaps that’s why all the numbers are now the same?
At any rate, I need a different set of page numbers for each ‘Article’ of the trust.
Thanks for any help!!! :slight_smile:

This is a mandatory step. However, you tell nothing about article heading.

To succeed in your requirement, your document must use styles and avoid as much as possible direct formatting. If you don’t know what styles are and which purpose is theirs, read the Writer Guide for an introduction.

Your article headings should be styled Heading n where n is the outline level of the articles. It is 1 if there is no other “subdivisions” in your document such as chapters. This Heading 1 paragraph style is modified. In Text Flow tab, Breaks section, you enable automatic page break by ticking Insert, With page style (keep Default Page Style in the menu as it is likely your document contains only one page type) and Page number so that the number is reset to 1 every time you enter a new article.

The page number is inserted in the header or the footer. For that, you need to enable either header or footer in Default Page Style page style. I assume you already did it as you tell you have numbers, albeit all the same.

You add the article number with Insert>Field>More Fields, Document tab. In Type, click on Chapter, in Format on Chapter number. Finally, select the Level corresponding to your Heading n. Don’t forget the hyphen between chapter and page numbers.

One last caveat: for stability and reliability of your document, save as .odt, not .doc(x). If you already have a version of your trust under these alien formats, it is preferable to retype from scratch in an .odt document. You can copy and paste your existing text, provided you paste as unformatted text. After that, style your text.

Thank you for your help. I will endeavor to follow your suggestions.
Unfortunately I’ve used direct formatting a lot to try and line up sub-paragraphs. I will make a copy as a test and remove the direct formatting to see if it can line up better.
My Writer used ‘CH’ as the paragraph indents and just today I figured out how to use ’ " ’ which is working out much better!!
Thanks again. I appreciate the time you took to answer my question. :slight_smile:

Well, I’ve tried all sorts of different ways and tried to follow your suggestions, but in the end I guess I’ll just print the eight pages one at a time and number each as I type the page.

I think my main problem is I just want to type this one trust with 10 Articles in it. Most have only one page, so no problem (I used styles ‘Article I’ ‘Article II’ and so forth. When I got to Article VIII, and used the ‘Article VIII’ style, the first three pages seemed to work: VIII-1, VIII-2, VIII-3. When I tried VIII-4, it wouldn’t work. Typing that number changed VIII-3 to VIII-4 also. :frowning:
Article VIII has eight pages, and try as I might using either the Article VIII page style and breaks using change page number or not using it and defining different numbers when I did use it, or switching to Default Page style and breaks doing the same thing with the change page number option, I couldn’t get it to work.
Seems like it should be a simple thing to accomplish, but I give up.
The ‘Heading n’ suggestion was also tried, but it too didn’t work either when I put it at the top of the first page of Article VIII, or in the following pages. I also tried putting it in the footer, but no luck there either…
Thanks anyway for your help. Sure wish someone would put a YouTube video for doing this type of thing.
Perhaps I am the only one in the Libreoffice universe to try typing a trust document?

No need to use one page style per article. I’d even say this complicates things.

Does it mean you’re numbering your pages manually?

Replace your text by “lorem ipsum” (type “lorem” without the quotation marks and immediately press F3 to get dummy text) and attach the file here. I’ll have a look at it tell you what’s wrong.