Turn off block selection shortcut

While typing in Writer, I often find that blocks of text are selected unintentionally and then deleted (I type fast, and I am a touch typist). I can undelete when I notice it, but it happens fast, and I sometimes miss it. What key shortcut do I need to turn off to prevent this?

@rasmith,

I have the same issue when working in a notebook with an active touchpad: casual hand touch could select text. Usually, touchpad can be deactivated with a combination of Fn an one of the function keys.

Text also can be selected by holding down Shift in combination with the cursor movement keys (Arrow×4, Page Up, Page Down, Home, End) and alternatively with Ctrl.

The shortcut key Ctrl+A will select all text, which seem not be your case.

EDIT: One more thing: Block selection is a feature of Writer, different to Standard selection. See more on Selection Mode.

Tested with LibreOffice 6.3.6.2 (x86); OS: Windows 6.1.

EDIT 2: Holding Shift + touchpad also can select text between the cursor and the pointer.

Add Answer is reserved for solutions.

Press edit below your question if you want to add more information; also can comment an answer.

Check the mark (Correct answer mark) to the left of the answer that solves your question.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll try deactivating the touchpad.

What appears to happen is a selection of a sentence or a selection of point to cursor (it’s hard to catch because it only happens when I’m typing fast). I don’t believe a cursor-movement key is involved.

I should have included this:
System: Linux pop-os 5.4.0-7642-generic #46~1598628707~20.04~040157c-Ubuntu
Version: 6.4.6.2, Build ID: 1:6.4.6-0ubuntu0.20.04.1,

@rasmith, Would you help me with a small favor? I am collecting data about how many karma is needed for which activities in this site. Could you hover the mouse pointer over the karma points (next to your user name at the top) and share here the content it display? It will say “Currently, you can:…”. Thanks in advance.