Turn off feature that guesses where I want the cursor

Years ago, up arrow meant move the cursor up one line and leave it in the same position on that line as it was on the previous line. Sometime in the last few versions that changed so that Writer thinks I want the cursor to go to some other location on the above line. I know I can stop that if I move the cursor forward or backward before going up, but I often don’t remember to do that. Is there a way to turn off the feature that thinks it knows where I want the cursor?

I cannot reproduce the said behaviour with v.6.4.4.2 on Windows: when I press up or down arrow, the cursor ends up in the ~same horizontal position as it was on previous line. There’s no configuration for this behaviour AFAIK. Please mention which LO version you use, and which OS (but in fact, OS should be unrelated).

LO version 6.0.7.3
Build ID: 1:6.0.7-0ubuntu0.18.04.10

For those not familiar with it, Xubuntu is one of the versions of Ubuntu, which is one desendents Debian, which is of the distributions of Linux.

Since the problem doesn’t show up in the Windows version of LO I’ll bring it up with the Ubuntu folk and see if anyone there sees the problem.

Thanks for the reply.

Menu/Tools/Options/LibreOffice writer/Formatting aids - Direct cursor

Excuse me, but I will write in Spanish.

@mariosv,

Entiendo lo que liberated writer dice. A mí me pasó que tuve que aprender a trabajar con el nuevo comportamiento del cursor. Si pegas un texto que alcance a la siguiente línea, y pulsas flecha arriba, el cursor vuelve a la posición que estaba antes de pegar.
Puedes borrar mi comentario, y ponerlo con tus palabras si deseas. Tengo algo de prisa ahora, y no me da para pensar en inglés. Gracias.

I went to Menu/Tools/Options/LibreOffice writer/Formatting aids. The box next to Direct cursor was unchecked. I checked it, clicked Ok, and tried arrow up. The cursor did not go up to the location at which it was on the line I moved up from. Instead it moved to the end of the line.

Did I misunderstand your instruction?

This is not a solution to your problem. Either edit your question or move it as a comment under the relevant answer requesting further explanation. This will also help other users to follow the development of the resolution.