two versions of libreoffice after ubuntu 24.04 upgrade

I am using Ubuntu, and recently upgraded to version 24.04.1.
After the upgrade, I went from one version of libreoffice to two.

$ apt show libreoffice -a
Package: libreoffice
Version: 4:24.2.5-0ubuntu0.24.04.2

Package: libreoffice
Version: 4:24.2.2-0ubuntu1

The version 24.2.2 does not work.
I want to remove the older, broken version and keep the newer, working version.

I tried to remove the older version with this:
$ sudo apt remove libreoffice=4:24.2.2-0ubuntu1
But, I still have both versions.

Does libreoffice want both versions for some reason? Should I keep them both?
If not, how do I remove just the older version?
I figure worst case, I will remove ALL libreoffice and then install just the latest version.

Thanks

Hello Sir,

With your consent, i’d like to ask you if your desk still has a launch bar and even if it is a brand new one, Ubuntu Software Icon is still available to you, because, in such case, you may manage with software native Installer instead, that will remove the one provided with the distro.

Hoping having been of any help to you, i remain,

With best regards

IMHO Ubuntu delivers LibreOffice as Snap and Snap can do automated updates. But then apt will not remove them. Maybe start with a
snap find libreoffice to find out more.
https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2021/01/earch-install-remove-snap-apps-command-line/

Thanks for your reply.

I do have a launch bar, as I had before the upgrade.
The launch bar had libreoffice after the upgrade, but just the old version, which no longer works.
I have removed, or “unpinned” those old non-functioning libreoffice icons and replaced them with links to the working version. So, at least I can still function.

Regarding "Ubuntu Software Icon:
I have a “Software and Updates”, which does not reference libreoffice.
I have “Software Updater”, which checks for updates.
I have “App Center”, which says I have libreoffice, only version 24.2.5.2 installed.
This is the version that works and I want to keep.

Do apologize for mismatch, my machine runs ubuntu 18.04.6 (italian language) and i did not know that yours was labelled “App Center”.

Regarding linux terminal language, I am sorry, but being a newbie, my experience is the one that, when things turn messy i reload the stuff with an usb memory key and replace previous installation.

Have a nice week

No worries about the “App Center” mismatch.

Regarding the suggestion about using Ubuntu snap:
It just shows the new functional libreoffice, and not the broken one that I want to remove:
$ snap find libreoffice
Name Version Publisher Notes Summary
libreoffice 24.2.5.2 canonical✓ - LibreOffice is a free and open source office suite

I also tried this, to see if snap would list the old version as “disabled”, but it did not:
$ snap list --all | grep libre
libreoffice 24.2.5.2 324 latest/stable canonical** -

Thank you for the suggestions.