Unable to apply Page Style to page

I’m finding sections, page styles, and header fields impossible to navigate.

I have a template in which the opening page style, first_page, has no header. It automatically transitions to normal_page, which does.

That seems to work well. But if I create a page after the first page, and try to apply the first_page page style to it, because I don’t want a header, I cannot. Even if I create a section break before this inserted page, I cannot change it to first_page style.

Consequently I am stuck with page numbering where I don’t want it.

Apparently I’m missing something basic, since most people seem to be getting on fine with the existing arrangement.

LO 6.0.2 on Linux

How do you create your second page? Through normal text flow when page 1 is full? With a paragraph whose style contains a page break to a specific style? With Next style in first page organizer?

I’ve created it several ways: ctrl-enter; Insert Break; insert Section, then ctrl-Enter.

The page style does have a Next Style parameter, dictating the normal_page style. But if I invoke first_page style, that should override it.

Leave aside sections: they live inside pages, consequently you won’t transition to another page style with them.

The important thing is to cause a change in page style. Just Ctrl+Enter won’t do it because you continue with the current page style. If you then change page style, it will change before and after the break.

You must use either Insert>Manual break, explicitly setting the new page style, or type a paragraph whose paragraph style has an Insert page break before with a specific page style.

Eventually, attach your template and I’ll have a look at it.

You must use either Insert>Manual break, explicitly setting the new page style, or type a paragraph whose paragraph style has an Insert page break before with a specific page style.

Amazing. I would have sworn I did just that, but now it’s working. Thanks for laying it out so simply for my pea brain.

You’re welcome.

When I’m tired, obvious things appear cumbersome and difficult. The best I can then do is go for a walk, mow my lawn or take some rest. It comes easy afterwards.

Lot of wisdom there too. I had just come off a long fast, and have been shoveling a lot of snow. :slight_smile: