Unable to do font color mass change

Hello forum,
I am a Libre Office newbie.
I am trying to migrate a few large documents from MS Word to Libre Office.
One problem I am having involves some black text with green highlighting.
The conversion caused the font color to become white.
When I do a FIND & REPLACE of white text to black, it made approx 1500 changes which went far beyond the target, like changing blue text for hyperlinks to black.
I even expanded the search to include black text with green highlight and nothing was found.
I used COMPATIBILITY mode to ensure the green was correct.
What am I doing wrong?

I used these instructions:

The “instructions” you reference are not applicable because you convert from DOC(X) to .odt (at least I hope you change also for Writer native format). DOCX has no notion of styles beyond paragraph. Consequently, all your colour formatting is translated to direct formatting which is a real nightmare.

I suggest you read the Writer Guide before you attempt any conversion. In particular study thoroughly the chapters about styles.

A full conversion to .odt requires design of a set of styles (paragraph, character and page) so that the switch can be made quickly, reliably and comfortably. Unfortunately this is not a task for a beginner.

I recommend you practice quite a lot on small documents, focusing on the use of styles, trying to forget muscle memory conditioned by long usage of Word.

I might seem discouraging but if you go for a “mixed strategy” relying on built-in implicit conversion you 'll meet rather quickly the limits of the process where your document will be polluted by Word remnants. This will prevent you from formatting it according to your taste because the structure will end up fragmented. In the extreme case, you’ll have one “part” per page.

As the change from black text to white text is caused by the darkness of the green highlighting you might find it easier to replace the green highlighting with a lighter shade that doesn’t trigger the flip to white text.

Possibly 81d41a or for better clarity, bbe33d

The doc is saved as an ODT file.

Maybe this bug: 161766 – [UI] Cell background color #00FF00 (green) with font color set to Automatic gives a white font that is nearly unreadable
Version 7.6.7.2 don’t show this behaviour.
Reproducible with: Version: 24.2.4.2
Heiko Tietze committed a patch related to this issue. It will be available in 25.2.0.