Unable to open a specific file name

I’m using LibreOffice 7.5.0.3 on an Xubuntu 22.04.1 system

I have the strangest problem. I have a file in my home directory named zz_trip.doc (created using Word) that I cannot open directly – in other words, by specifying it on the command line. If, in my home directory I enter:

/usr/local/lib/libreoffice7.5/program/soffice --writer /u/jeff/zz_trip.doc

absolutely nothing happens, the command prompt simply returns. However, if I start writer and then do a File->Open, the file opens just fine! if I modify the path or use ~ to the filename on the command line nothing happens.

However, if I move zz_trip.doc to a different directory, then it opens just fine. And in my home directory, if I rename it to anything else including zztrip.doc, z_trip.doc, z.doc, etc., then it opens just fine!

It’s as if LibreOffice has “learned” this particular name in this particular location and is ignoring it. I don’t think the program has any feature like this, but I’m at a loss to understand what is going on. Any clues?

Do you really have a directory called /u ?

Yes. I’ve had it for over 40 years; long before /home was even a glint in UNIX’s eye! :slight_smile:

And I’m not going to change it, even if snap packages make the horrible assumption that everything is directly under /home, resulting in things like Firefox becoming unworkable.

However, that’s not the source of the problem as all other filenames in the same directory work fine.

It it really strange, indeed.

I guess it’s very unusual, and likely you are the only one who can debug it - but it needs a self-built LibreOffice and a debug session. If you have an interest, you are welcome to join us.