Uncheck the "Include Format" in the sort options by default

I’m starting to think this is not possible.

So just to give an idea of what I’m trying to do, I’m currently working on a spreadsheet for my books.

As you can see in the image, column C and D are merged after the first two rows, same for E/F and G/H. Now, my problem is that the sorting option is a bit annoying. Because of the merged cells, if I try to sort the cells with the little button next to “Series”, “Authors”, etc. I get the “Ranges containing merged cells can only be sorted without format” error.

Now, I can bypass that by going into the sort options and manually untick the “Include Format” option, but I have to do it everytime I want to sort my list because it always rechecks itself automatically. I was wondering if there was a way to just disable that “Include Format” option permanently so that I can easily sort my list with the buttons.

I know I could just unmerge the cells and try another configuration, but I like how it all looks right now, that sorting problem is the only annoying thing that I can’t figure out.

I hope my question is clear, I’ve been working on this for a while and my brain’s a bit fried.

If you want a fully functional spreadsheet, just abstain from merging cells except for mere text lables and captions.

The merged cells on your screen shot are A1:B2 with the top level heading “Book List”. They have nothing to do with the actual list. The list starts with the column labels in row 3 and ends with the last record in row 7.
Since a spreadsheet has no concept of “tables”, “fields” nor “records” (these are database terms), Calc treats the entire range of adjacent cells as a table when you sort and filter. There is no artificial intelligence separating a list from all the other sheet cells.

2 different solutions to separate the functional list from the decoration:

1. Insert a new empty row above row 3 and hide the empty row.
  2. Select the whole list A3:X7 (X is the last column), call menu:Data>Define… and give a name to the list.
    You can combine both methods. Check “Contains column headers” und er “More Options”. Click [Add] and then [OK]

Damn, it was so simple… Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your help!

Unfortunately, it is far from being simple. The office component which makes sorting of records in a table fool proof and simple is Base. Unforturnately, 99% of office users use spreadsheets as databases.