Undefined symbol: _ZTVN6icu_6913UnicodeStringE

Libreoffice doesn’t start when I click on the icon, so I tried starting it from the commandline but get this error:

/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/libboost_locale.so.1.71.0: undefined symbol: _ZTVN6icu_6913UnicodeStringE

I am on ubuntu 20.04. Any help please?

Where did you obtain the LibreOffice package you installed? The symbol missing is from ICU 69. I don’t know what version of ICU Ubuntu 20.04 ships, but why is your LibreOffice even pulling in libboost_locale.so from /usr/local/lib/ ?

I used sudo apt install libreoffice to get LibreOffice. When I try running sudo apt install libicu-dev it says it is installed, although you mentioned it should be ICU 69 but apt install ICU 66. Let me try installing that.

I have a custom Boost install due to work hence it is pulling from that location, I believe.

This hasn’t been an issue until recently when I ran an apt autoremove. The way Ubuntu and apt works baffles me.

I uninstalled boost 1.71 and it works again!!

I guess my custom boost install will have to disable installing the locale lib. Thanks for all your help @erAck, you are a real gem!

For posteriority, if you wish to use a custom boost install, you can do it with ./b2 --without-locale install. This will ensure boost_locale doesn’t get installed and thus there is no conflict.

Make sure that when having installed things to /usr/local/… no standard distribution application pulls those in except when actually desired. I’d guess you have some system-wide or account-wide LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib environment variable set or some such.