Unwanted auto responses [AutoInput, AutoCorrect, Spell Checking, etc.]

My computer has just self installed Libre Office 7.0.5.2 (x64) without asking and without my permission. As a result it destroyed all my settings, options and preferences. I have found some but Spell Check no longer underlines miss spelt words and in Spreadsheet the cursor moves down when Enter is pressed and useless predictions are offered in the next cell. Please where how can I correct these problems.
I know there will be other places where Libre Office tries to out guess me and do things for me that I usually do not want and I have to correct but I will hope to be able stop these myself. Auto features are a curse on the whole.

It never can be happened on the Windows, if you use the official LO download site.
Most of the Linux distributions contain a verson of the LO and maybe the Linux can update the LO version (automatically?) But the Linux always ask your permission on the installing something.
What Op. Sys. are you using?

On Ubuntu Linux, LibreOffice is provided as a Snap package, and it gets updated automatically. I still have to figure out how you can prevent that if you don’t want that to happen.

… except when some other software is too helpful (also here).
And the “(x64)” strongly hints that it was Windows - there’s no other OS that gets such a decoration to the version.

Oh. This version must tell something special… I wonder what could cause any software to “update” to a version more than 2 years old, and at the same time, not the latest in the 7.0 branch (it would be 7.0.6.2). That version wasn’t anything like “the last version that supports this or that”. Whatever autoupdater that was, it was definitely hallucinating.

1 Like

As far as I have noticed, you are not forced by Ubuntu to use this junk called »snap«, install as before per:

sudo apt purge snapd
sudo apt-get install libreoffice

As I’m not a true techie in the Linux style, I prefer to stick to the defaults. And on Ubuntu, Snap seems to be the default software provider. Anyway, this is off-topic, but thank you for the suggestion anyway.

If they really try to make it the default package-mangement … change the distribution !

menu Tools - Automatic Spell Checking (also check the text language settings).

menu Tools - Options - LibreOffice Calc - General - under Input Settings, unmark or adjust option to [ ] Press Enter to move selection

menu Tool - [ ] AutoInput

Also take a look at menu Tools - AutoCorrect Options.

1 Like

Thank you all for your responses. I do not really understand your comments on the update as I do not use Ubuntu or Linux or any auto update except Windows 10, and that only with my permission. Strange I did not notice it installing. I have done a virus scan as a precaution. Learning it was not the latest version I downloaded and installed ver 7.5.5.2 and set that up. Thanks for your help. In the process I discovered the Italian dictionary extension which will be useful. Thanks again.

So if this combination is true, I would recommend a full backup, then re-installing windows from a fresh download. (Keep an eye on your licences…)
An update to LibreOffice should always need an Admin to execute it or to allow this.

This is also quite unusual, as updates don’t touch the profile. But you/your admin may should consider to include %APPDATA% in your backup. Then you can always restore your preferences…

I think what has happened is that your user profile got deleted, or so badly corrupted, that LibreOffice built a new one. When it does this, LibreOffice thinks it is a new installation and offers a link to the release notes. It seems from the version number that you had your original installation still.

See LibreOffice user profile - The Document Foundation Wiki

1 Like