Update index (TOC) returning undesirable results

I am working with a document I last saved in December 2017. I recently upgraded my LibreOffice to 6.1.3.2 and now I’m having trouble with Update Index on my Table of Contents (TOC).

I have limited the TOC to two levels of style - Heading 1 and Heading 2 - but it is ‘reading’ bulleted list items as well as part of the TOC. I cannot figure out why this is suddenly happening. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: It is happening on 1 document but not on another that was also last updated in December 2017. I’m looking at the settings for the TOC’s and not seeing any differences. I’m seeing the same behavior on both Mac and Linux versions of Writer. The one it is working on is 33 pages; the one it is not working on is 83 pages.

I’ve worked in LibreOffice Writer for years and this is just the latest example of formatting going wonky on the longer document. Is there anything that can be done short of starting over from scratch?

Look at the settings of the extra paragraphs that are appearing in the TOC, both the manual formatting and the paragraph style, if in the “Text Flow” tab there is a level assigned to them. If that’s the case, change it to “Body text” again. If that doesn’t work, please upload a sample document with the problem so we can test it.

Thank you! That was it. The style was Bullets, but I did not have Bullets defined in the levels for the TOC and that is why I was so confused. Once I changed the style to Text Body, the TOC is now updating properly with just the 2 levels I wanted.