Update installation completed and then said it had failed

I use Firefox which may be having issues today. Windows 10 on a Lenovo Yogi. I was trying to update to 6.4.4.2 as I learned today that the bug making line width in Writer such a pain has been fixed (Hurray!)
I got the failed message when I tried to recycle the installation wizard.

Restart Windows and install again. There is often a file locked by Windows, probably in the start menu. After reboot LO should install without problem. If not, then make a note of the error message and the error number. Cheers, Al

If you are using Windows Defender, you might need to disable it during installation, see Defender Controlled folder access feature enabled - The Document Foundation Wiki

Thank you for your replies. I tried what you suggested in the first one (before the second arrived) and this time the Wizard told me that 6.4.4.2 had been installed. But it hadn’t been: no shortcut icon and the non-functioning line width adjuster still…not functioning. I was suspicious as the installation was over so quickly. I’m running out of time to prepare a maths lesson (online) so will have to use the 6.4 until the lesson is finished. What particularly bothers me is that the Wizard thinks it’s done it’s job and told me so!

For line Width I would recommend using the Line properties in the sidebar rather than the toolbar adjustment (Toolbar adjustment in 6.4.4.2 on Win 10 is still erratic). The sidebar always does what it says; if necessary, you can read the mm size off the toolbar as you adjust the sidebar.

I hope your re-installation goes well. Cheers, Al

Thank you for your update! I don’t seem to have any Line Properties in the sidebar. I’ll have to investigate. I thought to check in my programmes list - and I have got LO 6.4.4.2 so the download was OK after all. Thank you for telling me that the toolbar adjustment is still erratic. I was misinformed, or had misunderstood, and expected it to be OK - that’s why I assumed the download had failed. Thank you for sorting this all out for me. (Now to find that pesky sidebar…) Best wishes, Kitty

When you have the line selected, if you click on the spanner icon on the sidebar you should get properties for the line and it can be changed by altering the point size of the line. Alternatively, right-click on the line, select Line… and enter the Width (thickness, surely?) there in mm. There doesn’t seem to be a problem with the measurement jumping around in that dialog either.

Ah - no spanner icon in sidebar. Where can I find one, please? I looked in Properties but there was no line properties that I could find. Thank you!

In the menu View | Sidebar or Ctrl+F5. Cheers, Al

I tried there and there was no spanner. Also the right-click on the line and setting the width and colour has to be done for every single line drawn. I am trying to make a lesson on the Sine and Cosine Rules so lots and lots of triangles! I’ve gone back to the annoying but managable-in-comparison line in Toolbar. But thank you for all your help! Best wishes, Kitty

I am linking to a picture elsewhere (no connection) which shows a Draw window. https://libreofficehelp.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/LibreOffice-Draw-In-Works.png . On the right near the top is the spanner icon (Properties), this is currently active in the picture. In the sidebar further down is Line, the properties for Line can be set here for the whole triangle. You need to convert from points to mm (72 points in an in inch) but you can enter any point value at the bottom of the Width dropdown. The line or the drawing object needs to be selected to see the properties for the line otherwise you will see the properties for whatever other object is currently selected, if nothing is selected then you will see the properties for the page.

Thank you for your link. But my ‘Draw’ has nothing like this in the sidebar. I tried using Draw but it was the same as writer - lines wouldn’t stay the right width or colour.

Hi. Sorry, I am using Tango (old default) as my Icon Style, in Tools | Options > LibreOffice | View | Icon Style. If you are using Automatic or another style, then you will have a different icon for Properties. If when you click on a drawing object then click on Properties, you don’t see the property for Line I would suggest 2 things to try in no particular order:

1. Change your Icon Style to one of the named styles (in path given above) and restart LO. If you see Line property in sidebar then you could try reverting to your previous style and seeing if Line property is visible, otherwise find a named style that suits you.
  2. In the same place in the Options window untick Use OpenGL for all rendering

I use the sidebar all the time so it would be a major problem if some features were missing. I have Win 10, LO 6.4.4.2 on this PC and have changed the settings to test but cannot emulate missing Line property. Despite ticking OpenGL it is still disabled though.

One other thing that might help, possibly with Firefox too is to update your graphics drivers. Otherwise it might be worth posting a new question: Sidebar doesn’t show Line under Properties, or similar wording. Cheers, Al

Thank you for all the work you’re putting in on my behalf! However, don’t you have to reset the line width etc for every object you draw? The erratic line width on the ordinary toolbar line function seems to accept 0.05, changes it to 0.09 and is thereafter stable for the whole session. This is perfectly do-able and preferable to having to re-set after every triangle. I must have drawn over a dozen yesterday!
Best wishes, Kitty

So long as you’re happy with your workflow. Cheers, Al

The download hadn’t failed after all. I was judging by the non-functioning of the toolbar line adjustments, which Earnest Al has told me is still erratic. It is the sidebar Line Properties that is fixed.