Update multiple files without opening them

Hello to all,

I am using LibreOffice 24.2.5.2 on a Windows 11 and I would like to know if I can update many files without opening them. Let me explain:

I have the following file structure to manage the products I make and sell from my small workshop:

• A CALC sheet with some common data: cost of materials, their weights, production times, etc.

• A CALC sheet for each type of product to calculate the price, weight, etc. depending on which materials I use, the size (the same product can have more than 100 size combinations), etc. These spreadsheets have external links to the previous spreadsheet to read the data they need for the calculations.

• A CALC sheet that reads from all the product sheets the final price and lists them all together.

The problem is that I currently have about 150 different products (and counting) and every time I change a piece of data (say the price of a material has changed), I have to open all of them, update them (either manually or automatically) and save them so that all the prices are recalculated, and in turn these appear updated when I open the third CALC sheet of the price list.

Is there any way to do this automatically without having to open each and every spreadsheet?

Thank you very much for your help and best regards,

Cross posted on the AOO forum where suggestions have been offered.

If you cross post, as a courtesy please let us know that you have done so, otherwise it leads to several discussions and a waste of time because several identical answers may be posted by different users.

1 Like

Noted! I wasn’t sure which forum was the right one to ask so I’ve put it in both.

If it happens again I will let everybody know.

LibreOffice and Open Office have a lot of programming code in common.

• Although LibreOffice has more features, some questions from the OpenOffice forum are totally valid for LibreOffice.
  • But since LibreOffice is more advanced, and it is the program you use…

The normal thing is that you use the LibreOffice forum. (ASK LibreOffice)

1 Like

I think it is not possible.

The way you are using the data the application you need is a database, not a spreadsheet

1 Like

Yes, it was clear to me that my system was not the best, but I have never worked with databases and at the beginning doing it in CALC was the easiest way for me.

Also because the calculations I do in the product spreadsheets are quite complex and I didn’t know if that can be done in a database (I have columns from A to CZ, because in addition to the calculations, many of the columns are configured to be exported to the database of my online shop).

Thanks anyway, I will explore also the database solution.

Designing a database is not an easy task but it is the right solution for your purpose.

In case it helps you, I tell you that you can import the tables that you already have created in Calc

1 Like