Update Notifications

As a casual user of Libre Office and Writer for personal use, I do not want Libre Office update notifications for the latest or newest release. Is there a Setting in Libre Office or another way to only get update notifications for the “slightly older” release? That way I don’t have to keep seeing the alert for the latest release, while manually checking if the version has changed for the older release.

If this option is not available and won’t be added I’ll simply turn off Update Notifications and just check the update page every few months and update to whatever the slightly older release is.

In December of 2020 the same topic was previously asked about here (Be notified of updates to the stable released version only) and doesn’t give me much hope a solution will ever be provided.

Hello @cmbt,
In your post you refer to my post

I would like to point out that my post was not specifically about being notified of new versions of the newest release instead of newer versions of the “slightly older” release, but was about the way that the transition from version 6 as the “slightly older” release to version 7 as the “slightly older” release was handled on the download webpage. I don’t think that lack response by the developers/maintainers of LibreOffice to that query should be translated into despair for a solution to your query.
Having said that, I will say that both before and since the transition to version 7 as the “slightly older” release I did not and have not had any problems with being notified that versions of the newest release were/are available and was/have only been notified when newer versions of the “slightly older” release were/are available.
In the Options (Tools → Options → LibreOffice → Online Update) I have the following enabled:
Online Update Options, Check for updates automatically, Every week
Download Destination is disabled.
User Agent is disabled.
I am currently running Version: 7.2.6.2 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: b0ec3a565991f7569a5a7f5d24fed7f52653d754 on Windows 10.0 Build 19044

1 Like

That’s great to hear things improved after posting your message and thanks for clarifying the intent of your post. I’m cautiously optimistic this feedback and help forum will be better than my past experiences.
Over the years I’ve joined countless forums to get help and give feedback for phone apps, software, website development, IOT devices, etc. These forums are promoted as a streamlined and efficient way for everyone to give feedback and get help so support doesn’t have to process and handle each support email separately and users can help each other. From my experience, because there’s such an overwhelming amount of information on feedback and help forums, it’s rare when feedback is implemented and it’s like winning a lottery if a problem is fixed. The forums often are like yelling into a vast openness or void.
After using Libre for many years, I just joined the help forum to ask a couple questions. It was my other question that received two great replies from other users and helped me to use the features of Libre Writer better.
Thank you for the reminder about the Update notification options. I changed mine from weekly to check monthly and unchecked the box for downloading the update automatically. Those were options I selected when I started using Libre. Will try these changes and see how they work.

Glad to help.
I have reported a few problems with LO in this forum and have received notifications from the development team that fixes for some of them were being implemented, even though I have not seen them yet since I am also using the stable version; I will say that my experience with reporting problems in this forum is better than with others forums that I am acquainted with where peer help and bug reporting are mingled.

1 Like