Version: 7.6.5.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 38d5f62f85355c192ef5f1dd47c5c0c0c6d6598b
CPU threads: 2;
UI render: Skia/Raster;
VCL: win
Locale: en-US (en_US);
UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

All of my data files are in various sub folders under the My Documents subdirectroy which I keep backed up to an external drive so I am not concerned about loosing them.

I would like to know do I need to uninstall LO before updating or will the update automatically delete the old installation while updating?

Thank you in advance for any and all help.
Mark B.

Usually no need to uninstall first. The new version will directly replace the previous one, with exception of your user-profile, where your own settings, dictionaries, macros are kept.

One hint:
Microsoft has placed your user-profile somewhere else: A hidden folder on the drive of the OS (typically C:), wich you can reach wich the “magic” name %APPDATA% I recommend to include the profile folders in backups too.

The change from 7.6 to 24.2 is just a normal update.
All that is happened is that the numbering has been changed from a sequential system to a date based system. Version 24.2 was released around February 2024; the next release will be 24.8 to be released around August this year.
You can see the release plan at ReleasePlan - The Document Foundation Wiki

Thanks Wanderer for the response and the information on the User profile. I will grab that subdirectory as well.

Thank you EarnestAI for the explanation of the new numbering system. And thank you for the link to the release plan. I see I need to get the update done since 7.6 is now EOL. Have a great day.