URL "target_blank" not working when exported to pdf

I have my document links form set to “target_blank”, but after exporting to pdf, in the pdf they do not open in new tab.

Please upload some sample files here.
Which PDF reader and browser software are you using?

It works me with my LO 6.1.6 and Acrobat Reader DC on Windows10 x64, and with a hyperlink created by the menu item “Insert - Hyperlink” feature in a pdf file exported from an .odf document.
The URL always open in my default Firefox browser on a new tab (it opens a new tab at every clicking).

Hyperlink in the pdf export.odt (9.0 KB)

Hyperlink in the pdf export.pdf (29.9 KB)

Your links do not open in new tabs either, not in any browser or in Adobe Reader.

@TBoan
Your question and its description should be as detailed as possible.
When writing your question and description, please keep in mind that no one can look over your shoulder.
Please, basically you have to specify the operating system and the LibreOffice version (three digits, e.g. 7.3.2).

Edit your initial question, to do it.
Thanks.
All important information about your initial question should be present in the initial question box, otherwise edit and complete it.
Do not use comments for this.

Here you can find the further References for this page.

Thank you for your consideration.

I tested your PDF with Firefox, Chrome and Opera under Win10 Pro
and the links opened in the same tab in all 3 browsers.
Sorry, have no time for further checks today, but as nobody asked for help it seems not to urgent…

PS: All 3 browsers auto-updated today, but I don’t think this is a question for versions…

If I use Firefox or Edge or Android (has only one window) then web links open in the same window. It seems to be an issue with expecting pdf to do more than it was designed for and browsers to do less, see unresolved problem discussion in Adobe https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/ensuring-pdf-hyperlinks-open-in-a-new-tab-or-window-in-all-browsers/m-p/10952017

Workaround: Ctrl+click link, Right-click link and select open in new tab, or scroll wheel click link works for me.

1 Like

If I download the .pdf file first, then I open it in the Adobe Reader DC, the link will open on a new tab in the running Firefox browser.
But when I open the attached .pdf file directly (the PDF reader will be launched inside the browser), then the link will open on same tab of the Firefox browser.

It means (at least for me), that the link and the target_blank option is present in the PDF file (the LibreOffice works well), but

• the op. sys
  • the browser
  • the pdf reader
    works strangely somehow.

… which would imply either that “the link and the _blank option is present in the PDF file”, or that Adobe Reader DC is not a web browser, and so can’t replace the PDF in its window with a random web site, and so delegates opening the URL to another application, which then does what it always does when you open a link from outside: opens a new window/tab, not replaces a random existing page. Guess what is more likely :wink:

More precisely:

If I download the .pdf file first (from the Forum), then I open the downloded file in the Adobe Reader DC, the www… link will open on a new tab in the running Firefox browser. (The browser will be activated automatically by the clicked link.)
But when I open the attached .pdf file directly from the Forum (the PDF reader will be launched inside the browser), then the link will open on same tab of the Firefox browser.

It is depends on the settings of the Firefox and the Adobe reader. On my PC: the link to the PDF file located above (with a normal left mouse click) opens the PDF file inside the browser.

I think the only real answer is to not expect pdfs (pretty dumb files) or browsers to perform up to LOs standard. Thanks for all your answers.