Using Writer 24.2, updating to a paragraph style, Bold is forced

I have a document set up and I am heavily using various Paragraph Styles. I am not sure what happened, but about 2 or 3 days ago when I would go and update a section of text to a different Paragraph Style, it applies that style to the paragraph, but for some reason is forcing the entire paragraph to Bold on top of it. It started off only occasionally doing this, now it is doing it every time I change a section of text to a different paragraph style. It does not seem to matter what Paragraph Style I use, the only ones that seem to be unaffected are styles that are already Bold.

Does anyone have any idea what might have happened and how do I stop this from happening, Having to go and unset Bold from entire sections of text after I update the Paragraph Style is starting to get old.

In order to be able to help, please let us know in which file format you are saving.
Since nobody can look at your document from here, it is only possible to help if you upload a sample document with the problem here. Thank you very much.

Styles live in different layers which follow a precedence rule:

• paragraph styles are deepest and provide the base formatting,
  • character styles are in the middle layer and their attributes override those of the paragraph style,
  • direct formatting is the shallowest and override the preceding layers.

Each layer is independent from each other: e.g. changing a paragraph style has no effect on character style or direct formatting. What was in effect in these layers remains in effect.

As consequence, if you ever pressed Ctrl+B to make your text bold and didn’t toggle it off at end of paragraph, what you type after changing style is still bold. Bold remains in effect until you switch it off.

This layer independence makes direct formatting the worst method to format your text because there is almost no UI to show you what’s happening.

Of course, this is only a guess. Attach your document to check the hypothesis, as per @Hrbrgr’s request.