Very, very slow Writer

Opened a blank doc and imported a text file. Since the text file was created from a copy/paste from a 100 pg. PDF it contained many what appear to be paragraph breaks. i used the old Find/Replace Addon that i found to locate and replace \p i think it was but the document was starting to get hard to manage because all operations had slowed down / way down. This is the 7.5.4.2 version on PCLinuxOS w/ 10 Gb free.

i’ve read a couple of other threads but none of them seem to really apply. Any suggestions? In the meantime, please have a beautiful evening and be happy! :slight_smile:

If you turn all paragraph breaks to line breaks or simply remove them, our text becomes a single paragraph.

It looks like Writer wants to load paragraph text totally in memory to process it (determine the number of lines needed, flow it into the page, …). This is no problem for usual relatively small paragraphs.

Here, if you’re not “selective”, you create a 100-page paragraph. I have recently met such an issue on an AskLO question. It solved itself when the original paragraphs were rebuilt.

Thanks for reply, guys! Really appreciate it.

What to me is strange is that even if it is trying to format the whole book as 1 paragraph i would think that it would try to use the available memory and we wouldn’t have any problem since our system reports like 12 Gb installed and only 1.5 used. But when we try to work with the doc i don’t observe any uptick in the memory usage… Another workaround would be to use Kate and try to remove the markers before importing. Then i could just import 50 pages or so at a time.
Uf. What a pain. Well, have a beautiful morning and please stay safe. :slight_smile:

what if you start with just 10p ?

slow down probably comes from extra long § ?

This is no answer but a request for clarification. Please repost as comment and delete your “non-answer”.