Videos in Writer & Impress

Hi,

I have videos that I saved to my hard drive.
Some of videos have been inserted into libre writer and impression.
I want to delete videos in my hard drive. Does it affect videos in writer and impression? Will they be disappeared?

Regards,

Please try install K-Lite Codec Pack:

How to listen to an embedded audio in a .pptx file? - #4 by djllor

Or suitable codecs for your operating system.

Media Support

It depends on how you inserted them into your documents, and what document format you are using.

Insert or link

When you insert media from the Insert menu, you’re presented with a file chooser asking you to locate the file on your hard drive to insert into the document. At the bottom of the file chooser, there’s the option to Link the media.

By default, it is off, meaning that your media is bundled up with the LibreOffice document. If you chose to link media, then your media is not bundled with your document.

If you inserted the media by dragging-and-dropping (that is, you dragged a media file from your desktop into the document) then the media is linked. It is NOT bundled with your document.

File format

Both the .odt or .odp file formats are designed to have the ability to bundle media with the document. If you’re using some other format (like .rtf or .txt) then there’s no guarantee that media is bundled with the document (in fact in some formats, there’s a guarantee that it’s not.)

For best results, use .odt and .odp.

Hi,

I have tried both insert and link.

Once I deleted videos in my hard drive, all videos which I have attached in Libre Writer and Impression were deleted as well.

Regards,

What version of LibreOffice are you using? As long as you are NOT linking a video, it should be bundled in the document. Here’s a listing of what’s inside an example .odt file, to which I’ve attached a video called rain.mkv:

$ unzip example.odt 
Archive:  example.odt
 extracting: mimetype                
  inflating: content.xml             
   creating: Configurations2/accelerator/
   creating: Configurations2/images/Bitmaps/
   creating: Configurations2/toolpanel/
   creating: Configurations2/progressbar/
   creating: Configurations2/statusbar/
   creating: Configurations2/toolbar/
   creating: Configurations2/floater/
   creating: Configurations2/popupmenu/
   creating: Configurations2/menubar/
  inflating: manifest.rdf            
  inflating: meta.xml                
 extracting: Thumbnails/thumbnail.png  
  inflating: settings.xml            
  inflating: styles.xml              
 extracting: Media/rain.mkv          
  inflating: META-INF/manifest.xml 

Note the second to last line: Media/rain.mkv

Can you try inserting media, leaving the “link” option disabled, and then use a ZIP tool to unzip the document you save?

Hi,

I am using Libreoffice version 7.2.6.2

Do I need to zip document?

Regards,