Virus detection errors downloading latest deb sdk

FYI: LibreOffice_7.4.3_Linux_x86-64_deb_sdk.tar.gzFailed - Virus detected

Where did you download the file from?

Have you checked the download URL on VirusTotal?

Source url: Download LibreOffice | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Based on OpenOffice - Compatible with Microsoft

Clicked the SDK link on that page.

Not aware of VT… ran that, did not come back all clean. Not sure if this will give you the report.

Please convert your “Answer” to a comment: it is not a solution to your problem, thanks.

The VT report is all clean (ignore the “Unrated” entries, they mean “untested”).

There is no reason to suspect the download from the official site. What alerted you to this “virus”?

1 Like

Convert it? Not sure how to do that. I did not have a simple ‘reply’ option that I could find initially…

Anyway.

Downloaded under W10 Pro x64 under Google Chrome. Chrome apparently reporting a virus. And/or Windows Security.

No reason? Untrue, apparently… Also to be clear, many of the virus checks passed, however, there were several uncategorized in the report, and I quote:
0xSI_f33d
Bkav
Lumu
PhishLabs
SafeToOpen
VIPRE
Unknown whether any of these were detected.

Those are virus checking organisations, or in the case of 0xSI_f33d , an open sharing database for threats.

1. Did you download it from libreoffice.org? Do you know what mirror?
  2. Did you check the hash against that listed in the info page, Mirror List?
  3. What was the threat ID and message when you scanned it? MS Defender says the one I downloaded was fine.

On the download page it says " But if your question is about downloading LibreOffice from our website, let us know: (1) Your operating system version; (2) Your web browser; (3) Error message(s) you see. Send these to download@libreoffice.org and we will try to help." So if you did find a virus from a LibreOffice download mirror you should probably contact them with the virus details, mirror, etc.

For the second time, YES, I downloaded via ‘official’ LiberOffice.org channels.

Do you know what mirror?

Either the mirror has been compromised or you have had a false positive from your unknown virus checker

1 Like

You never shown the specific wording that Chrome gave you.

This is not even “virus checking organization”, but some public database that collect data about known problematic URLs and the like. When people report problems for specific URLs to them, they collect that data to help others. And when they have no information about this URL, you can’t expect them to return any info; and no, they do not scan data themselves.

Y’all are asking the wrong guy, if you are asking the OP any of this. Again, to reiterate, I went through ‘official’ channels to download, AFAIK. Nothing special or magical about that. As far as what got noticed or did not, again, I’m just telling you what Chrome told me, and apparently which the virus report may also agree with. What y’all do with that is up to you. I was able to download with Firefox instead of Chrome, but do I necessarily trust the image, the warnings I take heed. Have not had that with previous downloads, for instance. HTH, out here.

You didn’t tell us what Chrome or your virus checker told you; you gave us a version so cut down that nothing can be done with it.

Chrome denied the download because it detected a virus. VT has the more detailed version what it thinks may be there, or are uncategorized. Look it up on VT yourself if you have to. Tired of repeating myself at this point. OUT HERE.

Conclusion: @mwpowelllde was warned to download a file by chrome.
So he downloaded the same file with firefox (no warning).
He wants to warn everybody here of the warning he ignored by downloading with another browser.
Most reader are not alarmed because he didn’t give details.
He is not interested, because he used firefox (not solving, but ignoring the warning), but seems to find some importance in VirusTotal messages he did not understand
So nearly no interest in the whole communication from all sides…
To be closed.

2 Likes