Web View is broken in LibreOffice 7.2.5.2 Writer

This seems to be a rendering error. The page is not refreshed and as I scroll text is rendered on top of another resulting in an unreadable mess.

LibreOffice Version:

Version: 7.2.5.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 20(Build:2)
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 5.4; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Ubuntu package version: 1:7.2.5~rc2-0ubuntu0.20.04.1~lo1
Calc: threaded

I am editing on a doc file, though it also happens on odt and all text documents.

This occurred on LibreOffice Stable 7.1.7 and I had hoped that updating would resolve the issue but it has not.

I am on Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon. As it is a rendering issue, perhaps we need graphics card as well, which is NVIDIA GeForce 940MX.

Is Wayland your compositor? It used to be X11 but changed “recently”. nVidia cards have trouble with Wayland because the specs are not public and open drivers have a hard time to be developed. Though the case seems to be easier with GNOME desktop manager compared to KDE Plasma. But I think Ubuntu has its own desktop manager (Unity?). You tell you are Mint, so perhaps you have plain ol’ GNOME or MATE.

See if your card driver is nouveau. You may have a try with a proprietary nVidia driver.

Also try to switch off OpenGL to see if it makes a difference. This can be done in the general OS configuration center.

Report here after these tests so that the problem narrows a bit.

I think my compositor is GNOME because I use Cinnamon. I am currently using Nvidia driver 470. I don’t see an option to turn off OpenGL. Changing the driver to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau did not fix the problem.

However, I changed drivers to nvidia-driver-495 and the problem does not occur anymore with ODT files but still occurs on DOC files. I exported the ODT file as DOCX and there is no rendering problem either. So now the problem has narrowed down from all documents to just DOC files.

Image: ODT and DOC files opened at Web View at the same time but with different rendering results.

Cross-posted from: https://old.reddit.com/r/libreoffice/comments/rzmcdp/rendering_error_in_libreoffice_7252_writer_in_web/.

I have a similar problem with 7.3.3.2, running on Xubuntu (Intel HD Graphics 6000 (GT3)). I’ve however noticed that when I resize the window, the view is being refreshed and becomes readable again – until I scroll down/up through the text.