What is the difference in saving work in .doc or .docx?

I want to have my resume to appear in Microsoft Word format. So, should I save my document in .doc or is it better in .docx?

So, should I save my document in .doc or is it better in .docx?

neither one way nor the other - use .odt to avoid compatibility issues and use any of the others only, if someone requests a specific format (but PDF should be sufficient for something like a resume, which is only to be edited by yourself). In that case, perform a one-time export to the requested format but keep your master document being .odt and make changes only to your master document.

Save your original copy in .odt format to be sure your intended formatting is kept as you intended it. Only send as .doc(x) to your recipients.

Be aware that saving in any non-native format will create compatibility issues because the storage formats are not replacements for one another. They have different capabilities and not all formatting can be represented in alien formats.

.doc is a legacy format for older Word versions.

.docx is the current format based on XML.

Both format are M$-proprietary. They have been in some way retro-engineered but you have no guarantee that this hack has captured all subtleties of the formats.

Add to that the fact that M$ frquently changes its formats to cope with the evolutions of the suite and therefore the import/export filters may lag behing M$ state-of-the-art. This is why I recommend you keep your original copy as .odt.

From personal experience, I prefer to use .doc which is less problematic than .docx, probably because it is frozen and therefore better understood by developers. This means also that the complexity of formatting must remain within reasonable limits. Any advanced formatting (starting with tables within tables) will be messed up in the conversion process. Even chapter/list numbering may be garbled if you don’t stick to the default.

In case of a resume, I’d rather recommend to send it as PDF.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

In case you need clarification, edit your question (not an answer which is reserved for solutions) or comment the relevant answer.

in .oft format

Eh, what format?!

@gabix: Thanks! my finger slipped from d to f (two adjacent keys!)