When I change (e.g.) the cell background colour the text colour changes. How can I stop this?

I’ve just installed v24.
When I opened a spreadsheet last saved with v7.6.7 in Calc, I noticed that the text colour had been changed from black to white. If I select a ligher background colour the text colour reverts to black. How can I disable text colour changing?

I considered to change the tag from common to calc but changed my mind with respect to attributes used in Writer (e.g) where some related dialogs allow to set properties influencing the effective background. Dialogs for setting text attributes will then also have a tab Font Effects offering to set Automatic instead of a specific color. The aim is, of course, to achieve sufficient contrast for reading.

I will now add an (e.g.) to the subject and calc as well as writer to the tags.

Make font use a specific chosen color, instead of Automatic (which is, by definition, automatically changing depending on background).

FTR: this was tdf#156182 fix, that changed it in v.24.2.

1 Like

Hi Mike.
Thanks. Doing that I can make it work for a cell, and a sheet by selecting all the cells in it. Is there a way of making it apply to all the sheets in a file or, preferably, make it the default for old and new files? I’ve tried Tools/Options/LibreOffice/Application Colours but that doesn’t seem to work.
What changed between 7.6,7 and earlier and 24…?
Brian

Application Colors are just what they “describe”: colours for the UI and other elements alien to your document. Colours (and many other attributes) for YOUR data is controlled by styles. But if you applied manually some attribute/property over your data, this overrides styles. Consequently, to achieve what you’re looking for requires that your spreadsheet has been carefully prepared. Id est, “decoration” must be considered as essential as data itself. Once “decoration” is styled, it can be modified centrally by modifying the style. And you can collect all your customisation in a special file called a template (and make this template the default one). Therefore, changing the styles in the template will automatically apply to all spreadsheets based on this template (once again, provided you didn’t overload with direct formatting).

No idea. You never provided an example file that behaved differently. The function of automatic color has always been that; but maybe there was a change in threshold?

Mike.
Yes, there is a threshold somewhere and it appears to be different for the two versions. My files behaved identically on the workstation and laptop, and I backup files from one to the other so they are, to all intent and purposes, identical.
The threshold on the v7.6 and older versions where the text colour changes is almost at the darkest of each colour, wheras on v24 it appears to occur on much lighter colours. I can’t see anywhere where I can change this threshold, the Font Effect and Options settings on both versions running the same file are identical.

Hi ajlittoz.
LibreOffice is just about perfect for my uses and I have never needed to fiddle with anything but the most minor details!
I’ve never amended the default styles, and only created one new template for my labels.
As I point out to Mike, the files run in the two different version on my laptop and workstation are identical. Before upgrading the workstation to v24 the sheets looked the same.
I’d stick with the older version if support for it wasn’t ending. As it is, I want my v24+ to be as friendly!

A fix for tdf#156182 (“FORMATTING Automatic text color can be unreadable with darker cell colors”) changed that.

And your problem is tracked in tdf#158989.