When I change the default font it never saves

Ok So, I open Tools - Options - LibreOffice Writer - Basic Fonts (Western), change the font and font size, click OK, close the current document, make a new open document text file(.odt) and then open the new file only to find it switched back to Liberation Serif, font size 12.

• Clicking apply before OK doesn’t do anything.

• Resting to default and then trying to change it doesn’t do anything.

• It doesn’t seem to matter what I change the font or font size to, nothing that I’ve tried sticks and it always changes back.

• I even tried deleting everything found inside of the 4 folder located at Appdata/Roaming/LibreOffice/4 and nothing changes.

I’m not sure if this is a bug or if I’m doing something wrong and the option to change the default font is somewhere else, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’m using LibreOffice Version: 6.4.4.2 (x64) and my OS is Windows 10.

Please, remove tags question and help because they aren’t specific to your problem. Everybody comes here because they want to ask a “question”. They ask a question because they can’t sort things out by themselves and need “help”.

Use the retag link and hit Enter key twice when done.

After much searching, I’ve found the problem, so anyone finding this through google because you were having the same problem I was, read on.

It turns out that documents created from using right-click(and maybe some other ways as well) will bypass custom templates and always use the default system template.

Now in order to edit the default system template you need to edit LibreOffice folder located inside of Program Files located here: C:\Program Files

right click the LibreOffice folder

select properties

click the security tab

click edit

select “Users” under group or user names

then check the box below that says full control

click apply

click OK

click OK again

and with that you should not be able to edit the default system template

The template itself is located at C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\share\template\shellnew there should be 4 files inside if your looking for LibreOffice writer’s default template then select the .odt file.

From there just edit the font or whatever you were trying to edit before, then just save the file and it should be good to go.

1 Like

This just shows how important it is to be explicit about your specific actions. The “and then open the new file” was so much important here, being actually “and then create a new file using Windows Explorer OpenDocument Text Document context menu”. The more details you mention, the more chances you get a useful advice.

Filed tdf#133661.

1 Like

Additionally, I had to remember to set the default template to one which opened a new Writer document with the font I wanted.
Libreoffice →
Templates →
Manage templates →
Right click the template I had made with the font(s) and “Set as Default”

Thanks to ADG123 for the detailed solution.