When I highlight text, I can't stop it from highlighting everything,

When i highlight a section of text, I’m not able to turn highlighting off when I carry on typing. Clicking the highlighting button doesn’t seem to do anything. Thanks for help in advance.

I assume that you select a highlight colour in the toolbar and then use the paint bucket over some part of the text. This indeed sets the highlight attribute. Selecting No fill in the toolbar has no effect on text per se: you only prselect the colour for the next click on the button.

You must act on the text to change the current highlight. For that, select the new No Fill colour and use the paint bucket to paint at least one character at the end of the sequence. Alternatively, type one character, select it and click on the No Fill highlight button. You can now continue typing in no-highlight mode.

I suggest you create a character style with the required highlight colour. It is then easier to control exactly what you want to highlight and you can change colour of all sequences from a single point.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

In case you need clarification, edit your question (not an answer) or comment the relevant answer.