When I open up old files, the text boxes have moved and expanded, and I can't change the size or location to where they were. Why is this, and how do I fix it?

I created a flyer in LibreOffice Writer. I used text boxes, and had them all right where I wanted them. I saved the document as a Word 97-2003 document. I have done this many times over the past 2 years - EDIT: 4 months, not 2 years. However, in the last month or so, I have opened these documents back up, and the text boxes have moved to the center and expanded. When I try to resize (making them smaller) and move them back to where they belong, they bounce right back. In addition, I’ve never seen this anchor thing before… or maybe it’s just never messed with my projects. However, this has really messed with some important documents. Please help me fix this.

I turned in a bug report: Bug tdf#138318

Try saving them in LO’s native format.

I saved the document as a Word 97-2003 document.

Basically:

Always create and save your files in LibreOffice and save them in ODF format (ODT, ODS, etc.).
Always keep these files as their source. If you need other formats for distribution to partners, you can open an ODF file and save and distribute another format with ″ Save as… ″.

This way, you always have working files available in your system environment.

See:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Faq/General/118

========================

Please report the behavior as a bug in Bugzilla .

Please announce the link from the bug here.

To do this, edit your initial question. Thank you.

Thank you for the answer.

If you use text boxes to position headings or paragraphs all around the page, you’re clearly outside the target domain of Writer. Writer is intended to manage a flow of paragraphs where they constitute a logical sequence where the topic or subject of a paragraph semantically precedes those of the following.

Writer is built to assign sequential position to paragraph and allocate pages when space is needed. This means pages are not primary objects and have no significance per se.

If page is meaningful and important to you (e.g. your flyer is exactly one page long), you are then in the desktop publishing (DTP) domain, not in the text processing domain. Either use a DTP application like free Scribus or commercial Quark XPress, or as a workaround LO Impress or LO Draw.

Impress (presentation application) formats “slides” and those “slides” can have any size or orientation. However, the body of the slide is still logically sequential by nature.

Draw (graphics application) imposes no structure at all. You allocate pages (any size or orientation) and you position objects anywhere in a page. Objects can be graphic shapes or text boxes. Text inside boxes can be formatted any way you like though it is not as user-friendly as in Writer.

Of course in either case, you won’t be able to save .doc but you won’t experience spurious position changes. If you need to send the result to someone else, export as PDF and this will guarantee fidelity.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

These are great work-arounds… or, more accurately, they are what I should have done in the first place. I appreciate the good ideas, and will endeavor to figure out a better program for my needs. It’s still frustrating, though, that this worked every week for over four months (not two years, as I first submitted - thinking about the wrong thing), then all of a sudden started not working. Oh, well.

Be kind enough to click (only once even if seemingly nothing happens!) on the tick mark if you think this is a satisfying answer. This will signal the question is answer in the home page.

These answers are great for people starting to use the program correctly. I’m sort-of waiting for somebody to tell me if this problem is fixable or not. I’m thinking it is, even if not convenient, but maybe not. Thoughts?

For the record, I’ve been trying to use Scribus for about two weeks now. I’m going to figure out how to get MS Publisher. It’s more intuitive and I’m familiar with it.

Save as .odt. There are so many differences between ODF and .doc that a DTP-oriented document (not a text flow document) is likely to be incorrectly converted both ways. If your concern about .doc is a print shop requirement, you could perhaps use PDF instead. ODF->PDF should not corrupt your layout.