When I type “helvetica” in the font name without having the Helvetica font installed, what is the default font used to replace it?

Hello! When I write “helvetica” in the font name of libreoffice writer and press enter, without having the Helvetica font installed, it automatically uses an helvetica substitute without saying the name of the font. In the font name it still shows helvetica, the same way I wrote it, but that’s not the font being used, since it’s not installed. I need to know the name of the font that is being used instead. Could you help me? Thanks!

PS: when I select a text written in that font and click on Format > Character > Font it show me the uploaded image saying “this font has not been installed. The closest available font will be used”

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks @mikekaganski for the XFontMappingUse Interface Reference

For future readers, I discovered (by trial and error) that in my system (linux mint 20.4 | LO 7.3.7.2) when I write “helvetica” it uses Nimbus Sans to replace it.

PS: going to * (menu):ToolsOptions...LibreOfficeFonts or to * (menu):FilePropertiesFonts didn’t show the font`s used.

…The “Replacement table” is a feature for the enforced substitution of the fonts. It will not show the substituted fonts automatically. You must fill the table with the desired font names.

1 Like