When loading and/or saving a pdf file (written in Persian) in LibreOffice shows funny Characters

I have generated a ‘pdf’ file in Persian (using Word 2019, saved as pdf), and have been trying to ‘password protect’ it using LibreOffice. When I load, and/or password protect the file, funny characters appear on some words and thus sentences. The same docs loads/reads perfectly, using the Adobe Reader version 2022. I have used both 7.4 and 7.5 versions of the LibreOffice–both result in the same effect. Could/would someone help, please? Thanks.

• Do you want to re-edit the .doc/.docx file or the .pdf export file?
  • Do you have SAME font sets available in the LibreOffice than the font sets used by Word 2019? (You can check the missing fonts by an extension TestFonts | Apache OpenOffice Extensions )
  • Can you upload a small sample file here?
1 Like

Your question is not related to database interface component. So, please, retag writer or draw (depending on what you do) and pdf; remove base. Correct tagging allows skilled contributors to take more interest in your question.

Describe the procedure you follow to password protect your document. Remember that a PDF file is handled by Draw, the graphical component.

Update your question by editing if. Don’t use a comment.

1 Like

Loading a pdf file (originally in words 2019 and saved as pdf) in LibreOffice includes funny characters and messed-up sentences. Lati-based characters appear correctly. Especial Latin-based characters, e.g., with macron, appear correctly inconsistently—a few letters appear correctly and some don’t, even in the same sentence—which is confusing to me.
Note: I also checked the Persian language threads (at LibreOffice), and apparently others have similar issues when loading (and/or saving) pdf file in LibreOffice. As I understand it, this issue is unrelated to source of (generating) a pdf file.

No editing. Straight through loading a pdf file (whether saving directly, or saving with password protection).
Using a normal font: ‘Calibri Light’ (for Latin and Persian scripts as well as special Latin-based with ‘macron’—in the same document)

Import the Word document into LibreOffice and then export as PDF. In the PDF Options dialog on tab Security Set Password.

Importing a complex text layout right-to-left (CTL RTL) PDF into Draw and fiddling around with it is likely doomed to fail.

THANK YOU for your suggestion. Loading the Word file (instead of pdf) solved the ‘character issue’ which is great. But, after loading the file, I noticed some of the margins and all indentations are messed up. Also, all italicized names (in the Bibliography) are replaced by ‘question marks’. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Please upload sample files here.