when saving, other files do not display, serious fail in design

this is a serious failure - when saving a file there is no other files displayed only folders, when saving any file anywhere some people like myself use a naming system EG video of X = “Video of X.jpg” , if i add a document to go with that Video i would name it "Txt of video X.odf " then a number system to indicate what version.

So when saving it makes sense to be able to see all other files so the naming and numbering can match.

i expected this problem in 1988 not 2020.

Version: 6.4.5.2 (x64)
Build ID: a726b36747cf2001e06b58ad5db1aa3a9a1872d6
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 18362; UI render: GL; VCL: win;
Locale: en-AU (en_AU); UI-Language: en-US
Calc: threaded

Update: Installed the older Version - no difference problem persists, Btw does Libre Office actually check these questions or do they wit until a number of people have the same issue?

Version: 6.3.6.2 (x64)
Build ID: 2196df99b074d8a661f4036fca8fa0cbfa33a497
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10.0; UI render: GL; VCL: win;
Locale: en-AU (en_AU); UI-Language: en-US
Calc: threaded

Which version of LibreOffice are you using that has this serious fault?? You might mention your Operation System and version as well. Please Edit your question to provide this important information.

I use v6.0.7.3 and do not experience your problem.

You are using v6.4.5.2 which is the latest release of a “fresh” version (for early adopters) and may yet have bugs in it. I would recommend that you install v6.3.6 which is a “stable” release, well-tested and intended for users who need greater reliability, etc.

I have no issue with v6.4.5.2 on Ubuntu 20.02 Mate.

@stephenp You probably haven’t realized that this site is a “volunteer users helping users” site, and officially has nothing to do with the developers of LibreOffice. If you would like to file a bug report, you can do so easily at https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/ where bugs are best dealt with.

Filtering what is displayed when saving is intentional. “Folders” (technically called directories) may be (and commonly are) overcrowded with many unsorted files, i.e. not stored in ad hoc folders/directories.

Since the primary purpose of displaying existing file names while saving is to warn you about a possible name clash, it makes sense to limit this display to “congruent” names, those having the same extension as the current document.

By the way, .odf is the extension for the Math component producing formulae. It is quite unusual to associate a formula to a video.

Your use case goes beyond an office application dealing with spreadsheets, text documents and presentations all related to some business. This is why the Filter: drop-down menu in the dialog does not spontaneously offer file extensions alien to office workflow.

You can compensate for that. The menu item can be overridden. Click where ODF Text Document (.odt) or other document type is displayed. Erase this text with the Bksp or Del key and type *. This is a “no-filter” rule allowing all types of files.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

In case you need clarification, edit your question (not an answer) or comment the relevant answer.