i need to click on a column and the sort it alphabetically (as Excel)
You are asking an invalid question, because it is based on wrong assumption, that there is no sort functionality. Further your question is imprecise:
SORT() function (which you’d use in formulas and which indeed does not exist in LibreOffice contrary to Excel) is a different thing than sort functionality (which is, as per your description, what you are looking for). Sorry for the nitpicking …
if you → do:
- want to have everything exact as in ex$el → use ex$el,
- want to promote ex$el → do it somewhere else, people here know about ex$el and why to avoid,
- want to sort data → use ‘data - sort’ (or appr. entry in your locale) and the options there,
- find something missing or incorrect under ‘data - sort’ → make good proposals for enhancement (bugzilla) and wait some time, free software tends to be a little slow in changing
free software tends to be a little slow in changing
Is it as in:
- “When I require something from my favorite non-free competitor, they typically implement that faster”
- “Typical free software release includes less changes than non-free competition has in comparable time”
- “I have no idea how free software compares to non-free, but I would love my requests be always implemented immediately”?
Select the area to sort, not only the sort keys. By this I mean usually there are several cells contributing to a “record”, such as last name, first name, street, city, …
Sort where you can tell which column or row contains the sort key, the sort “geometry” (row or column) and direction (ascending/descending).
To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!