Where does JDK 10.11 go on mac os 10.13

To use the ‘Tools/Grammar check’ feature, I downloaded and attempted to install the recommended JDK but I don’t know where it is installed into Mac os 10.13 High Sierra.

Every time I launch LibreOffice 7.4.5.1, this window appears, saying
“LibreOffice requires Oracle’s JDK on macOS 10.10 or greater to perform this task. Please install…”

with a button “OK” to be clicked before LibreOffice open.

Where do I install this extension (?) in the mac system, please?

which one ?
since LO comes with its own checker, for many languages (and not requiring java)
https://help.libreoffice.org/latest/en-US/text/swriter/guide/spellcheck_dialog.html

Hello Pierre,

(after expanding the .tarz file from Oracle, the extension (?) is called “libjli.dylib”.

I have dragged into the ‘Applications’ folder but it is not recognised by LibreOffice during opening sequence.

Attached is a screenshot of what the the extensiion’s icon looks like.

I know how to utilise the ‘Spell Checker’ in LibreOffice 7.4.5.1, thank you. It’s the Grammar Checker that I cannot access via the “Tools” drop down menu in LO.

Sincerely, Paul Collins.

screenshot of "LibreOffice Grammar Checker extension".png

Does Oracle’s JDK Installation Guide provide any useful information?

This is not a JDK. To get any Java functionality to work with LO on macOS, these days, you need a full JDK, at current release version, or possibly slightly older, as sometimes the absolute bleeding edge versions don’t work. The JDK needs to either install itself in the Java frameworks system folder, or else you have to copy it there (and have admin rights on the machine to do so).

Additionally, if the version of LibreOffice you have is from the App store, you can forget about getting anything Java to work - it won’t because it’s been deactivated. If you’re using LO downloaded from the website, it should recognize a suitably installed JDK.

I have no idea what that dylib you’ve downloaded is supposed to do, but it certainly isn’t a jdk.

All current JDKs for macOS need to be installed to
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/
in order for them to be recognized by LO.

It is unfortunate also the only functional embedded Base requires Java. And not just JRE but the full JDK for some reason.

Few days ago had the same issue as OP. Ended deleting, for the umpteenth time, all traces of Java on my system. Then activated experimental features and tried embedded FirebirdSQL. Didn’t work. Error after error was obvious isn’t ready yet.

Base replacement needed.

Maybe you were trying Firebird using things of Base that needs java, but Firebird doesn’t need Java at all.

“For some reason” is down to Apple not wanting to support Java apps, and pulling it’s support for JavaForOSX, and Oracle who took the decision to impose stricter licensing on the use of Java. That is hardly the fault of LibreOfiice, which had to adapt as best it could to two moving targets.

I would try to extract the package anywhere to your home directory.
Then point LibreOffice to the directory named “Home” where the subdirectories conf, bin, lib etc. reside.
As far as I know, there is no reason to “install” Java anywhere. If you know the location, you can use any Java version from any location.
My Linux system has the default Java installed in /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/ where I find the subdirectories conf, bin, lib etc.
If your test is successful you may move your Java to a similar location on your system and point LIbreOffice to that place.

No. Wizard requires Java. Did not use that.

On a side note v24.2 declares as fixed the issue of automatically adding a primary key. Does it also means FirebirdSQL is not “Experimental” anymore? As it clearly still is on my v7.4.

I did not mean that. Volunteer and professional work to improve LO is amazing.

But for the combined effort of both Apple and Oracle I don’t want Java anywhere on my system. It may be embedded in some apps but I can be oblivious of that. As such HSQLDB is not helpful to me. Also Base toolset is, as far as I know, not ready for embedding FirebirdSQL. So I am left with no other options than searching for other solutions. Looking into Grist and SeaTable SaaS now.

Side note. Oracle does provide a JRE installer for macOS. Why is a JDK required instead?

It is/was an old error with MacOS that an installed JRE was not recognized, but using a JDK worked.

1 Like

While not working perfectly, it is usable. Especially, if you work with SQL. (I don’t use the GUI much.)
As I also avoid embedded databases I use Sqlite via ODBC, wich needs no java, but I’m remembering MacOS also removed ODBC configuration years ago…

ok this rules out using jdbc drivers and java extensions as in the link below.
Btw: I switched first to Amazons Coretto, then to Adoptium for Java, so Oracle is not the only source.

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=111449

Was not aware of Eclipse Temurin. JRE is just 42 MB. Will give it a try. Thanks.

I don’t want to dig into SQL, install, design, program, describe, maintain and backup a db. End users definitely don’t want to install a ODBC driver or learn an unfamiliar interface. ODS files I am receiving are simple enough and still messed up in many ways. Should be a spreadsheet replacement.

As much as I now wonder if with just Calc I can set required fields and formats and fake relations between sheets. All what I need.

Base provides simple and advanced access. Some “end users” wish to access databases in their webstorage like mysql, some will never use a database. (I guess most MS-Office installs are without “Access-database”, as you have to pay for it…). Choice is up to you. As you already have choosen a Mac the are some special obstacles not found on other platform.
And if you don’t wish to see anything unfamiliar, imho you should avoid software not specifically made for Mac.

Let me rephrase: is not worth the effort. macOS, with case-sensitive file system :wink:, is just a tool.

You can not do this on macOS (the OP’s OS) without some form of jiggery-pokery, due to the restricted access of certain file system folders that Apple imposes. I seem to recall someone posting a link on here to a tool that enabled a user to install multiple different JDKs in their home folder, but that would require a bit of searching, and I haven’t tried it myself, as copying the JDKs to relevant system folder isn’t really particularly difficult, once you know how.

On my macOS system, I have the following JDKs installed:

/usr/libexec/java_home -V
Matching Java Virtual Machines (10):
22.0.1 (arm64) “Eclipse Adoptium” - “OpenJDK 22.0.1” /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/temurin-22.jdk/Contents/Home
20.0.1 (arm64) “Oracle Corporation” - “OpenJDK 20.0.1” /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-20.0.1.jdk/Contents/Home
18.0.1 (arm64) “Eclipse Adoptium” - “OpenJDK 18.0.1” /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/temurin-18.jdk/Contents/Home
17 (arm64) “Azul Systems, Inc.” - “Zulu 17.0.63-ea” /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/zulu-17.jdk/Contents/Home
17 (arm64) “Oracle Corporation” - “Java SE 17” /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-17_aarch64.jdk/Contents/Home
17 (x86_64) “Oracle Corporation” - “Java SE 17” /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-17_x64.jdk/Contents/Home
16.0.2+7 (arm64) “BellSoft” - “BellSoft Liberica JDK 16.0.2+7” /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/liberica-jdk-16-full.jdk/Contents/Home
15 (x86_64) “Oracle Corporation” - “OpenJDK 15” /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-15.jdk/Contents/Home
14.0.2 (x86_64) “Oracle Corporation” - “OpenJDK 14.0.2” /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-14.0.2.jdk/Contents/Home
12.0.2 (x86_64) “Oracle Corporation” - “OpenJDK 12.0.2” /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-12.0.2.jdk/Contents/Home
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/temurin-22.jdk/Contents/Home

The latest one (22.0.1 (arm64) “Eclipse Adoptium” - “OpenJDK 22.0.1”, is automatically recognized and selectable under LO Preferences > Advanced

with Version: 7.6.4.1 (AARCH64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: e19e193f88cd6c0525a17fb7a176ed8e6a3e2aa1
CPU threads: 8; OS: Mac OS X 14.4.1; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: osx
Locale: fr-FR (fr_FR.UTF-8); UI: fr-FR
Calc: threaded