Why aren't my private characters recognized in Libre Office 7.2.6.2?

I created a number of private characters which were linked to Times New Roman using the Private Character Editor in Windows 10. They show up in the Character Map as Times New Roman (private characters). I can paste them from the Character Map into Word 2007 and even Notepad, but Libre Office doesn’t recognize them. Instead it displays a different list of characters. How do I coax Libre Office to recognize these characters? I’ve tried restarting the problem and even rebooting, but nothing seems to work.

Describe technically how you patched the font. LO is Unicode-based. So, your custom characters have been assigned a codepoint (an index between U+0000 and U+10FFFF). Usually custom characters are stored in the Basic Multilingual Place (BMP) Private Use Area (PUA) at U+E0000 to U+F8FF. But, through patching, you can in fact allocate them anywhere.

Where have you put them? Which codepoints?

You can enter any Unicode character in Writer when you know its codepoint (in hexadecimal) by typing U+<hexa_codepoint> followed by combination Alt+x.

Assigning your custom character to a key is another story which is dealt by OS utilities and is not related to Writer operation.

1 Like

tdf#69098

Although the report lacks the instructions for reproducing (specific font, steps to configure the system to use the PUA), as well as the use case (common in Asian languages). People will struggle reproducing it, a required pre-requisite for starting to fix it, unless those who are interested in this fixed would provide all the necessary info :slight_smile:

1 Like

The code points I used are E000 to E00E. When I paste the glyphs from Word or Notepad or Character map into Libre Writer an entirely different set of glyphs is produced. The same thing happens if I use the U+E000 [Alt][x] method. The glyph that shows up in Word or Notepad looks like the letter E turned 90 degrees clockwise, which is what I designed (though the other glyphs are more complicated), but the glyph displayed by Writer looks a bit like a Greek small letter aleph. I’m not trying to assign it to a key, but if entering the codepoint worked I could do that several ways with a keyboard macro on my Kinesis KB. The problem is that it doesn’t work. This range is supposedly in a user defined range, but Writer substitutes its own glyphs for some reason.

Mike:
I didn’t understand your comment. Are you talking to me, or to the Libre Office developers?
To create the glyphs I used the Windows Private Character Editor, which is pretty simple. It “links” the private characters either to specific fonts or to all system fonts, and I’ve tried doing both.

I never had problems with PUA glyphs, that is, provided the designated font really has glyphs there.
Since Times New Roman is a system font, how does “Private Character Editor” make its job (I’m under Linux and not familiar with this utility)? Does it patch the font? In this case the modification is available to all applications. Or does it record a separate file supposed to be an overlay for the system font? This would in fact create a separate font.
Make sure the patched font still has name “Times New Roman” or find its internal name.
Modern fonts are very tricky. The description tables may point to an entirely different file!