why cannot get spellcheck to start from current cursor location

I have a Calc file where I would like to have spellcheck start from its current cursor position. Documentation indicates that you have an option to do this or start from the beginning of a sheet. What steps are necessary to reset this option as I recall spellchecking did start from the cursor location at one time. Thanks.

Given: Calc 7.X, Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS Radeon RX 570 Series (POLARIS10, DRM 3.35.0, 5.4.0 …

Curious. If I am in a cell with a spelling error and I press F7, then spell check looks at that cell first. If that cell doesn’t have an error it looks down the column for the next error. If no error then it looks at next column, eventually returning to beginning of sheet.

If I click beyond the current area it asks if I want to start from the beginning of the sheet, if I say No, then it just says in the Language field None, i.e., not checking. Is this what you mean?

I am experiencing the exact same problem and have to wait 10+ minutes before spellcheck allows me to continue work. LO 7, ubuntu 20.4

Is that with one particular spreadsheet (fault in spreadsheet, complex spreadsheet)? Or in all spreadsheets?

Try spell check in Safe Mode, Help > Restart in Safe Mode, click Continue in Safe Mode then open your spreadsheet and see if spell check works normally.

If spell check works OK in Safe Mode then your user profile might be corrupted. Make a copy of your user folder so you can restore wordbook, templates, etc by copying back before trying a reset.

One other thing that might affect the time. Look in Tools > Options > LibreOffice Calc > General and see if Use printer metrics for text formatting is ticked, if it is try unticking it and seeing if that makes a difference. It might be trying to wake a printer before responding.