Why do carriage returns within a comment (on this site) not display as expected?

Every time I place a return within a comment (for example to separate elements of a very small list) they are
displayed correctly within the editing window. But once my comment is saved I discover that something ate
all these returns.

What is the trick to put a needed return where I want within a comment?

→ oweng: thank you for improving the subject.

I originally commented (from my phone), thinking the question was in relation to LO, rather than this site. Comment formatting is essentially the same as that for questions and answers. Consecutive lines of content of the same type (text, quotation, block code) are run together. Use a blank line as a form of delimiter e.g., rather than:

Text line 1.
Text line 2.
Text line 3.

… use:

Text line 1.

Text line 2.

Text line 3.

This can be achieved in a comment using SHIFT+ENTER.

Not too hard to use.

Thank you :).

[⇧]+[return] doesn’t work.[included here]
It “seems” to have the same function as a [return]. Are you talking of the [enter] which exists on some keyboards and is different from [return]?

I’m accessing the site (mostly) using Debian 7 + Iceweasel v17 on an iMac mini with extended aluminium keyboard using US International layout. The key is labelled “return” but it is the ENTER key and I modify it using SHIFT to (presumably) produce linefeeds rather than carriage returns. You can use this thread to test answer / comment formatting for your particular setup.