Why do drop down menus disappear with mouse over

I’m using OpenSuSE Leap 15.2 LibreOffice 7.1.3.2

Recently, when the mouse is over a drop down menu it disappears. It’s not a problem that’s been around very long.

The mouse will drop the menu down but any movement to move the mouse down the menu or move it to the scroll bar and the drop down disappears.

For example, the Font Name down arrow will allow the drop down menu to be displayed when its left clicked. As soon as the mouse is moved down the menu it does not remain in place but essentially vanishes.

Any ideas? Thanks.

This did not happen on my openSUSE 15.2 and LibreOffice 7.1.3.2 (used that combination until latest release of openSUSE 15.3 and LibreOffice 7.1.4.2) I’d suggest to test whether your user profile is causing the issue:

Test (this is not a solution) whether LibreOffice user profile is causing the issue:

• Start LibreOffice
  • Restart in Safe Mode using Help -> Restart in Safe Mode and confirm the restart using button: Restart
  • Click button Continue in Safe Mode
  • Open a file (using File -> Open) and test whether the problem is gone
  • Provide feedback using add a comment about the test result.

If the problem is gone while running in LibreOffice **Safe Mode**, most probably your user profile is corrupt and you need to reset to factory settings (could be also done via `Help -> Restart in Safe Mode`; carefully read the options in the dialog appearing when starting safe mode)
Please provide info from `Help -> About LibreOffice`

Hello, I have followed those safe mode instructions and the problem remains. Here are the contents copied from Help-> About

Version: 7.1.3.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 10(Build:2)
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 5.3; UI render: default; VCL: kf5
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

Thanks.

This is what I can find about the installed libreoffice package.

~> sudo zypper if libreoffice

Information for package libreoffice:

Repository : Online updates for openSUSE Leap:15.2 (standard)
Name : libreoffice
Version : 7.1.3.2-lp152.2.10.1
Arch : x86_64
Vendor : openSUSE
Installed Size : 211.5 MiB
Installed : Yes
Source package : libreoffice-7.1.3.2-lp152.2.10.1.src

~> type libreoffice
libreoffice is /usr/bin/libreoffice
~> /usr/bin/libreoffice --version
LibreOffice 7.1.3.2 10(Build:2)

Please flip your mouse over and try to blow into the optical sensor. Believe it or not, a small speck of dust caught in the optics can cause completely unexpected effects.

Thanks for the suggestion which I tried but, alas, it did not fix the problem.

Sounds like the sort of thing that happens when the mouse battery starts getting flat. If so, you will have replaced the battery by now.

No battery in this mouse. Thoughtful comment though.

You didn’t say if the menus were usable in Safe Mode.

Does this OpenOffice answer help?

It’s no different in safe mode, unfortunately. Thanks.