Why do lines in one column move down when I add line breaks in another?

Hey, everyone. Minor issue with LibreOffice here.
I’ve inserted two columns into a word document. On the right column, whenever a new line is started, the lines over in the left column all move down. I’m typing away on the right-hand column, a new line begins, and everything on the left column moves down a line. How can I prevent this? It’s quite frustrating! I just cannot get the columns to function independently like in MS Word.

EDIT: Never mind, I’ll just put it in a header for the time being. Wish I could figure out how to get it to work, though

OK, inserting a text box doesn’t help–now when a new line is added, the text box moves down. Any advice, anyone?

I don’t get this behaviour in LibreOffice 4.1.4.2 running on Windows 7. What version are you using?

At the bottom of left column add column brake by using menu: Insert | Break | Column brake.

Did you mean “column break” instead of “brake”? Could you explain what a column brake/break does? (I actually don’t know.)

Make sure the vertical alignment of the left column is “top”. The text behaviour you describe is that of “bottom”. In the left column, right-click to show the context menu, and in “cell” choose “top”. Alternatively, from the Format menu, choose “Alignment” and then “Top”.