Why do page numbers keep disappearing?

I add page numbers to the footer, then if I make other changes or close the doc down they are gone when I re-open.

Any ideas?

This is my first post - I clicked the wiki thing by mistake obviously.

Did you save as odt or doc/docx file?

Provide more details by editing your question (do not answer)

I saved as docx. I’ve had this happen a couple of times. Sometimes the page numbers stay and sometimes they vanish.

Does it happen as .odt? Unless you need to share your document with MS coworkers, keep it as .odt (besides, M$ Word can read .odt files, at least if not too complex). .doc is more reliable than .docx.

My page numbers are disappearing, too, but I’m using the .odt extension.
Additionally, when I toggle from Web view to Normal view, the page numbers in the frame of the window at the bottom left corner are not changing to the actual page numbers like they should. They stay in the Web view format of showing only 1 or 2 pages.
This means I have no way of counting pages except literally scrolling through the document and counting manually. What is this bug?

My page numbers also disappear after saving spreadsheet with an .ods extension and then closing file. The check mark for “Footer On” somehow gets unchecked upon closing file. Each time I want page numbers after opening the file I have to go to Format -->Page Style–>Footer, and then check box for Footer On.

The original question is from 2018! @jpd555 has found tdf#144184.

@jpd555 Original question is about Writer; yours is about Calc. It is then another question.

But, as pointed out by @jmux, the issue is already known by developers.