Why does draw file only open in Impress

I can create a drawing in Draw, but every time I attempt to open it, it opens it in Impress.
Since they both use the odg suffix, it seems to me that this is part of the problem.

I’m using Windows 10 and noticed this question is still unanswered since 2016.
Impress Draw
Version: 6.1.5.2 (x64)
Build ID: 90f8dcf33c87b3705e78202e3df5142b201bd805
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10.0; UI render: default;
Locale: en-US (en_US); Calc: group threaded

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/DE/Datei_oeffnen_mit_LibreOffice#Foreword

[The process can be performed accordingly for the other LibreOffice modules (Calc, Impress Draw, etc.).]

I hope, it can help you.

ODG isn’t Impress file: ODP is.

Since they both use the odg suffix

Impress uses .odp, while Draw uses .odg

and noticed this question is still unanswered since 2016

Which specific “this question” (a link please) is unanswered? Please never omit links to things you refer to. Thanks!

Same problem, I don’t know why. Somewhere I have read that Impress and Draw internally are quite similar if not identical.

“ODG isn’t Impress file: ODP is.”

UNder windows 10 file explorer ‘filename.odg’ has a type OpenDocument Presentation".

This is not and answer to OPs (your own) question. Please remove and add as a comment, if you believe that it is telling about the format Impress saves files rather then a consequence of the misconfiguration of your Windows system, which has an incorrect file extension association of ODG to “OpenDocument Presentation” (and this is the cause of your problem). This sadly makes me assume that you did not read the link @Hrbrgr provided.

I have observed the same and investigated the reason.
Very simple: in the odf-File (which is basically a zip archive you will find a file named “mimetype”.
This file contains a single line with the mimetype.
For draw files it should read: application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.graphics
for impress files: application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.presentation
For some unclear reason Libreoffice changes the mimetype (arbitrarily?).
You can, however edit the mimetype to the correct type. LO will probably complain but nonetheless it will now open as draw file. Not a solution, only a workaround until the issue has been resolved.