Why does the spellchecker stops every few pages?

Hello,

I’m using Writer’s spellchecker for the first time.

As shown I need to proof-read a 320 page document.

For some reason, the spellchecker stops after just a few pages with “The spellcheck is complete.”

Is there a way to have it work until the end of the document, so I don’t have to hit F7 repeatedly?

Thank you.

In order to be able to make a better assessment, please let us know which operating system and which version of LibreOffice you are working with. The file format used is also an important point. Thank you very much.

The page that the cursor ends on is irrelevant: the checker will not move the cursor; additionally, it will only check the selected text, if you have a selection. So the question is: do you see the spelling errors (red underlines) after the check, in the rest of the document?

How do you format your document? Manually or with styles?

If styling, check the Font tab to see if Language has been set to None for some of them.

With direct formatting it is next to impossible to proceed with the same check. But perhaps Format>Clear direct formatting could verify the hypothesis (with the obvious loss of your formatting, so Ctrl+Z after the test).

Windows 10 64-bit
LO 24.2.5.2
DOCX file converted from PDF by Abbyy Finereader

Yes I do (“Post must be at least 10 characters”)

I don’t know. It’s a DOCX created by the Abbyy Finereader OCR from a PDF.

Then conversion from DOCX to ODF internal format creates a mess of direct formatting and distortion of structure. I don’t know what DOCX does about text language. To check:

• put the cursor somewhere the spelling checker works; look at the bottom status bar and read which language is reported
  • put the cursor beyond the limit where you get “spellcheck complete”; read which language

But according to your comment above (red underlines beyond the limit), the check will not be conclusive.

Create a new text document.
Make sure that the new text document has the right spell-check language.
Copy the whole, chaotic docx text.
Paste-Special (Ctrl+Shift+V) as unformatted text.
The spell check will now work with the specified language.

Further recommendation:
Drop the docx and apply styles to the new, unformatted text. Working with styles is the essence of using LibreOffice.

Thanks but that would involve redoing the whole formatting… on a 320 page document

This is where styles are handy. Instead of formatting individually words or paragraphs, you define styles (or customise built-in ones) and you apply them. If your document is a novel, a dozen styles (paragraph and character) are enough. Technical documents may need more.

I have used Abbyy Finereader Pro to OCR many documents in order to update them and make them relevant to today’s environment.

After OCR, I check the words using the Finereader spellcheck which compares the image to the recognised word(s).

After that is completed, I export it as plain text in supposedly .doc format but in reality .rtf. It is irrelevant as I then copy the entire text as paste as unformatted text into a new LibreOffice document.

I then select all and apply Body Text style. After that, I go through and apply headings to match the original document. I can then start editing the document to bring it up to date. Note that only the plain text is carried over from the original OCR so there are no made up styles or wonky formatting to interrupt my flow when I start the actual work of updating.

After that I can export to whatever formats I want to use to share the work, normally pdf though.

1 Like

It’s not up to me, since I’m working on a DOCX that was converted from PDF, not a brand new document.

I get French while the dialog is still displayed, but nothing after clicking on OK in the “Spellcheck complete” dialog.

I’ll just keep hitting F7 to resume. Thanks all

Was the original document a PDF? Then the working format does not matter.
If the DOCX was provided by somebody with a requirement that it be returned as DOCX too once edited, you can nevertheless work with ODF in Writer. This workflow will spare you many problems: whenever you save your document DOCX, there is a conversion; When you reopen it, you have another conversion. Conversions have detrimental cumulative effects which progressive damage the document structure. Instead, work native ODF (file extension .odt) and export DOCX only when the document is finalised.

Otherwise use M$ Word. This will be less painful than trying to concile both suites.

Getting a cleanly formatted document by consistent use of styles should be doable within an hour or so.

1 Like

Since you are only proof reading the document, I take it you are not too concerned with the appearance of the document so, you can apply one style to all of the text.
Copy the entire document to the clip board - CTRL + A then CTRL + C
Create a new blank document - CTRL + N
Paste the the clipboard as unformatted text into the new document. SHIFT + CTRL + ALT + V
Select all the text in the new document - CTRL A
Apply the Body Text Style - CTRL + 0 (Zero not the letter O)
This should only take you a minute or two and you are good to go with your spell/grammar check.