why is the 6.3.4 installer trying to access low level network things or the Intel SGX AESM?

I just downloaded the 6.3.4 installer (msi) for windows and when I ran the installer, I got the warning messages as per the attached screenshot.

I cancelled the install, this seemed pretty dodgy to me!

I got the same thing when I tried installing from a freshly doiwnloaded 6.2.8.2 installer msi

I am running Avira anti-virus if that helps.

Maybe those things happen to use the same MSVC system libraries the installer wants to update. Unfortunately, MS Installer’s restart manager does not provide a list of locked files and/or registry keys that result in that message. MSI takes the list of files and keys we need to write, and does the magic itself; we only provide the dialog for the list it generates.

Not dodgy at all. The installer does not try to access those functions as such. As Mike says, it is accessing shared libraries which need to be updated, and which are in use by those functions. The alternative, updating without terminating those services, is allowed, but then a reboot is required.

Without restarting the services (either individually, done by the installer, or “globally” by a system reboot) the system would be running in an unstable state.