Why Text Drag & Drop doesn't work in Writer 7.3.7.3 on Ubuntu?

I have the preinstalled version of LibreOffice 7.3 on Ubuntu Unity 22.04 LTS.
I tried to drag-and-drop a paragraph from one page to another in the same document, when it didn’t work i moved the paragraph using the clipboard.
I then tried to drag another paragraph on the same page and it behaved weirdly: it first changed the cursor to the move cursor and showed a dotted text cursor where it would insert the text when I’d let go of the mouse button. I let go but the text stayed where it was. I tried again and everytimes I drag in one direction and then a few pixels back it changes to the OS’s dragging animation and just inserts the text into the window (it lands exactly where it was before).

Why is @Hrbrgr editing my post all the time, removing and readding the three tots at the end each time?!?

1 Like

To help you so that your topic is seen and gets to the first position (a little trick).

If you have not yet received a response, ask yourself the question, how do I make my description interesting enough for other users to want to respond?

1 Like

Does this problem occur in all text documents? If this occur in only one document, would you share it to test?
Are you working in Edit Mode? See last entry in menu Edit; it must be grayed out.
Few days ago I tested to reproduce in Linux what do you wrote, but to no avail. That was the reason that I don’t commented.

3 Likes

@Lampe2020
You could try to install Version: 7.4.2.3 in parallel and test its behaviour. Same problem? Solved problem?
On my machine (LinuxMint, fork of Ubuntu) drag/drop of a paragraph across pages is feasible.

Yes, this occurs in whole LibreOffice, not just in that one document.

I can edit the file normally and the last item in the “Edit” menu (“Editing Mode”) isn’t greyed out but ticked.