Will Libre open Microsoft Word documents?

Will Libre open Microsoft Word documents?

Yes, LibreOffice opens the documents from M$-Word.

Feature Comparison: LibreOffice - Microsoft Office

Get Help / System Requirements

Recommendation for a clean working with LibreOffice when different office programs are used

Download LibreOffice

yes, just install LibreOffice and try open your MSO files in it

Agree fully with YES.
There will be some subtle formatting changes. For example, Since MSO uses “colibri” as the default font, and that font is installed by MSO only (as far as i know). Since that font won’t be available …LO will substitute the nearest font.

The other thing I did (Being a USA user) is to make a new “default” template with US-letter as the paper size, and my favorite font set. Save it as a template (i called mine “us-letter”) and set that template as default. This to replace the default “a4” paper size template set default on install. so now NEW gets you a letter sized document with your favorite font already selected.

I much Prefer LO over MSO Word. Way better!

Since MSO uses “colibri” as the default font, and that font is installed by MSO only (as far as i know).

no, it’s also available on all Windows starting with Vista.

Since that font won’t be available …LO will substitute the nearest font

… which is metrically-compatible Carlito, which is bundled with LO just for that reason; so for that specific font, no formatting changes will happen.

(Being a USA user) is to make a new “default” template with US-letter as the paper size

… which would be automatic if you properly set your LO locale to en-US.

I think i did. At least, i did a normal install… (sheepishly: I THINK).
Thanks for the info on the font. I’m about to teach a class at our senior center about LO, as there is interest in LO there. That info is helpful.

I have seem SUBTLE changes to documents…I send LO docs to a customer, they use MSWord. So far, been working quite well. Yes, the small changes appear to vary with the version of MSO they open it with (so what else is new).

just checked. Locale was set to “english-usa”, but the default Writer template was indeed A4 based. I Noticed that in this version (6.3) i can’t directly Edit the default template, as i was able to do in prev releases… no worries, just saved a new one, then set it to default.

That would mean a possible bug then.

possible. the “default” template is there (pagesize A4, font:Liberation Serif), but cannot be edited. when i right-click, select “edit” i get:
Document “default.ott” is locked for editing by: unknown user
open read-only or open a copy.

Not a big deal. was easy to make a new template and save it, then set to default,

Heh, then it’s not a bug, but a pre-existing custom default template with A4 page style. Initially, there’s no template defined in a clear user profile, and new documents are created from a compiled defaults which take selected locale into account.