Word count of part of a document

The maximum number of words for my essays excludes Title Page, Table of Contents and, Bibliography. I’d like to see quickly how I am meeting my target. My Title Page and Table of Contents doesn’t change much. I can do a word count of these, perhaps 89 words. Then I’d like to write a formula on my title page in the form {WordCount} - 89 =
Can anyone advise me on the correct syntax please?

What would be even nicer, would be able to place a flag for the start of the word count then another flag for the end of the word count, place a field for word count on my title page and, have this field show the word count between flags. Please vote for my question, if you would like to see this feature in future versions of LibreOffice.

LibreOffice Writer 3.6.2.2

Hi @Catbells,

Please file an enhancement bug for feature requests on our bug tracker. Don’t forget to mark your bug as an ‘enhancement’.

Thanks!

Refer my answer here to a related question. There is currently no way that I am aware of to achieve what you require. The figures in these ‘count’ fields is pulled from the document meta information.

I suppose a macro or similar piece of code may be able to obtain this information, however it would first require marking the relevant areas of the document, by inserting sections for example. This would place enclosing <text:section> elements in the XML that could (in theory) be parsed to provide a more limited word count. Handling (including / excluding) various text styles and all the idiosyncrasies in ODF XML would complicate this task.