Write image alignment and anchor default

Hi,
Using Ubuntu Mate 20.04, LO 7;

I was able to change the default wrap for image insertions in Write from Through to Wrap Off using Frame Style modification for Graphics. But how do you change the defaults for image insertion in Write for :

• Default horizontal alignment to centre ?
  • anchor to default to paragraph and not to character ?

Thanks,

Christian

Hello

anchor to default to paragraph and not to character ?

This can be changed starting with LibreOffice version 7.1 via:

Tools -> Options -> LibreOffice Writer -> Formatting Aids -> Dropdown *Anchor:* To Paragraph (No way to change in earlier versions)

Default horizontal alignment to centre

On my system* it is centered by default (See setting in Right click Frame Style *Graphics* -> Moditfy -> Tab: Type -> Section *Position* -> Drop down *Horizontal*).

*) my system

Version: 7.1.3.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 47f78053abe362b9384784d31a6e56f8511eb1c1
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 5.3; UI render: default; VCL: kf5
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

In addition to @anon73440385’s answer, you can create your own frame style.

If you derive (right-click on an existing frame style and New) your custom style from Frame, it will be anchored To Paragraph. If you derive it from Graphics, it will be anchored To character or more exactly in the default mode you defined in Tools>Options, LibreOffice Writer>Formatting Aids.

But there is no big difference between To paragraph and To character. It only matters is the paragraph straddles a page boundary. To paragraph is strictly equivalent to anchoring to the zeroth character of the paragraph, i.e the very beginning. Then To paragraph will try to maintain the image on the same page as the paragraph beginning, while To character will position the image on the same page as its anchor.

The real difference is with As character where the image is inlined in the paragraph and submitted to flow and justification like all other characters.

Alignment, both horizontal and vertical is set in the frame style.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

In case you need clarification, edit your question (not an answer which is reserved for solutions) or comment the relevant answer.